😍🪁||49|| ''This is me announcing my arrival,''

Chapter 49!!! 😊😊

~~~~~~~~~~

The forest was quiet but for the beating of my own heart and the distant song of a blackbird. This was absolutely terrifying, this joy and excitement my body was running high on.

There was no going back now. The way forward was blurry and unclear in my head – but for him to vanish into the world wasn't even an option for me now.

It started raining again, the sound of raindrops hitting the foliage creating a constant hum around us. I could still feel his lips on mine, even though we'd broken apart. I could still feel every little thing.

It took a while to get myself together again. I heard his breathing; it was erratic as mine, but slowed down much quicker.

I moved away slightly, and he took a step back, but kept his hands on my forearms. Even though I had several layers of clothes on, it was like his touch burned my bare skin.

Tongue-tied, I focused on his hands. Wherever they had been, whatever they had done; they were gentle now. Almost familiar.

He didn't say anything, and when I eventually did, it was in earnest and very much needed, but maybe not a topic one would usually bring up after a kiss.

''I heard about Finn.''

He hid it well, but I saw that he was hurt. And god, right now I just wanted to pack up and leave with him. Not choose anything but him.

''I'm sorry.''

Elijah averted his eyes, running his fingers over my hands. ''He wanted it.''

''What do you mean?''

''He has long since wanted to be rid of his... curse. To him, our entire species is an abomination.''

I watched his face, saw the subtle changes – his jaw tensing, his downcast eyes, the way he barely opened his mouth as if he wanted to say something, but didn't.

''Do you think it's a curse too?''

Elijah traced a crease in my jacket. ''Sometimes.''

Even though I wished every thought like that gone from his mind, I could see why. Even if it was sure to have had its ups, there had to have been moments during a thousand years that were just... bleak. When everything seemed endless and dark.

''When are you going?''

''As soon as possible.''

I sucked in a breath. Closing my eyes, I tried to conceal my... disappointment? Sadness? Tiredness? My instincts told me it wasn't the end, but it was so tiring to never get to just... settle in peace.

''Will you let me know?''

Elijah nodded. Then, in a low voice, he suggested, ''You could come with me.''

He sounded so young just then. So vulnerable. It broke my heart when I said what I had to.

''I want to,'' I said. ''But I... I need to go someplace- someplace I can work. Maybe take some classes. I can't disappear. I can't run.'' That's what it meant, didn't it? They would disappear, they wouldn't settle anywhere. And they would go further than I was ready for. Elijah nodded, understanding, and I had to say something – we could figure something out, because if this would be the last time I saw him because of that, I wasn't sure if I wanted it anymore. ''But-''

I could have killed my phone for ringing right then, but then I realised that it was his and I couldn't be just as mad.

After checking the screen, he gave me an apologetic look. Smiling slowly, I gestured him that it was okay and leaned against a tree, waiting for him to come back.