||30|| ''Can I ask about Elijah?''

~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 30!
Whoop!
Nearly half way there 🥺😂
~~~~~~~~~~

I checked my phone for what must've been the tenth time in only a couple of minutes. I didn't know if Elena and Damon were alright, if they'd found anything, if they were on their way back... Could I have gone with them? Yes, I guess. But should I have gone with them? Probably not. So I just had to get myself together and deal with the not knowing.

The sudden vibration from my phone had me on high alert, and I answered breathlessly:

''Hello?''

''Hello, Evangeline,'' a familiar voice sounded through the phone. ''It's Carol Lockwood.''

''Mrs. Lockwood!'' I said, my heart dropping in disappointment. She didn't call me often – never, actually. ''How are you?''

''I'm good, dear, thank you,'' she said. ''Look, I was hoping for a last minute favour.''

''Okay...?''

''The Night of Illumination is coming up, as you may know. I need someone to compile appropriate posters.''

''Okay...'' I paused, thinking that asking why might come off as impolite, but before I even got to consider it further she went on.

''You're certainly qualified,'' Mrs Lockwood said. ''Those summaries you wrote for the Historical Society really were wonderful.''

''That was in high school,'' I replied. ''I haven't written anything for you guys for years.''

''Oh, I know, but I was really hoping you would say yes.''

I knew she had other people she could ask, but she obviously knew I would say yes without almost any fuss. That had to be why she called me, and not someone else.

''Sure, I'm there to put up lanterns anyway.''

''Oh, that's great,'' she said, sounding thrilled. ''Thank you very much!''

''No problem,'' I said, and after we hung up I tried my best to keep myself occupied. Soon, though, I didn't have to make too much effort on my own. As soon as I heard the front door open and my mother call from the hallway, I scuttled down the stairs.

''Guess who just called me?''

My mother greeted me with a smile, and put a couple of grocery bags on the floor. ''Selma from housewives?''

''In your dreams. No, Carol Lockwood.''

She frowned. ''What did she want?''

I grabbed one of the bags and brought it to the kitchen. ''She wanted me to fix a bunch of things for the lightening ceremony,'' I said, opening the fridge.

She hesitated. ''That's... fun?''

''I guess.''

Panting slightly, she carried the last of the groceries into the kitchen. She gave me a hug and sat down on a chair, letting out one of the loudest sighs I'd ever heard.

''You okay?'' I raised an eyebrow at her.

''Mhm,'' she hummed, closing her eyes. I chuckled.

''Here,'' she said suddenly, and reached out her hand. ''Hold my hand.''

I took a deep breath. ''Okay.''

After opening up to my mother about wanting to practise, and then actually going through with it, things were going really well. It still put me off though, and I got these strange twitches when my brain told me to touch someone before I could register what I was doing.