||09|| ''How does someone 'walk into a knife'?''

Chapter 9

💃👗💃
~~~~~~~~~~

I grabbed my concealer from the cabinet above the sink and put some on the tip of my finger. I lifted my chin up and brought my finger to my neck, dabbing gently to cover up the two marks. Maybe I was being a bit too paranoid. I mean, if you didn't pay real close attention to my neck, for some strange reason, then you wouldn't notice them. But something in my subconscious told me to cover it up anyway.

Closing the door behind me when I was finished, I left the bathroom and went into my own room to go on my computer before I had to leave for work. I typed in my usual search words and let my eyes skim the screen before me. Spending fifteen minutes or so looking through all of the new hits, I finally got tired of it. Yet again, it wasn't giving me anything useful.

I glanced at my wardrobe, and the dress hanging there. I was finally going to be able to wear it. Pushing the chair away from the desk, I went over to it and grabbed the hanger. I put the dress neatly and flat on my bed for when I was going to put it on later.

But first, work.

~~~~~~~~~~

I had a shift at the Grill that day. We were closing early, since pretty much the whole town was going to the Lockwood's later on. Yet somehow, we were still pretty busy. I would've thought that business would be extremely slow, but no. Maybe people figured they'd make a whole day out of it, I don't know.

We were kind of undermanned. I was the only waitress alongside Sarah, and we only had Pete and Matt Donovan working in the kitchen. Were we prepared for this many customers? Not really, but in one way or another, we'd make it work.

Thankfully, when we were nearing closing time, the stream of people got thinner. And that was about the time when Sarah came up to me, apron in hand, with a guilty look on her face.

''You're leaving?''

She nodded slowly. I didn't know why, it wasn't like I was going to get mad about it. ''I've got to get some stuff sorted before getting ready for tonight. I'll meet you there?''

''Absolutely,'' I confirmed, wiping my hands off on with a towel. She raised her hand in a quick goodbye and then disappeared to her locker to change.

People were leaving anyway, and no one came in. So it really wasn't that big a deal. I got to work wiping tables and fixing all of the salt and pepper shakers and napkins. When I'd done everything I could think of, I sat down on the chair behind the counter and stretched my arms.

Work really could get boring sometimes. When there was nothing to do, there really wasn't anything to do. And it wasn't really right to pull out my phone either. So all I could do was sit there.

In the corner of my eye, I noticed Matt by the kitchen door, taking off his apron. Was he leaving, too?

I remained seating, but soon enough he walked up to me with the same guilty look as Sarah had.

''I have to go,'' he said, looking uncomfortable. ''I promised Elena to help get Jenna home. I already talked to Pete about it.''

''Jenna?'' I frowned. Elena's aunt was at the hospital? Figures, my mum wouldn't mention it.

''Oh, you didn't know?''