Chapter 29

Katniss POV

"Rue!" I call repeatedly. It is freezing out, but beads of perspiration slide down my forehead. Rue moves so swiftly even with a broken ankle. I can see her boot by a bush, a bit of hair here and there. "Rue!" I call again. I don't care how much noise I'm making now, my feet are pounding on dry leaves and I am practically yelling now. The figure in front of me stops abruptly and I slam into Rue.
"Katniss! What are you doing? Are you trying to die?" Rue asks.
"Rue, please, I can help you. Your ankle." I planned to say so much more but I am literally unable to.
"Look, it's late in the Games. If we want to make it out alive we need to separate. I can tend to myself. I'm not as weak as you think! Goodbye!" The small girl snaps, obviously annoyed. Then Rue disappears, leaving me standing alone in utter disbelief. What just happened? I stay where I am, not moving a muscle, as if Rue will come back weeping and apologizing and begging me to help her. Instead, I hear a scream. Not necessarily a scream of pain, but it sounds like someone is calling me.

"Katniss!" It sounds like Rue kind of. "Katniss! RUN!" It is Rue! I know she told me to run, and I do! But I'm not moving. My feet are glued to the dry forest ground. I hear thundering foosteps behind me, and I turn around to find myself about twenty yards away from a ginormous boy who holds a knife, glinting in the moonlight. I am frozen in place, memories from my life flashing in my brain.

Everythings seems to go blurry and distant, and as hard I as I try I can't run away. I vaguely hear Rue screaming at me, pulling at my arm. All I know is the boy hurls his knife at me, and all I think is, what a terrible way to die.

I come to my senses when I see Rue's tiny body lying on the ground with a knife in her heart. An arrow finds a home in the boy's brain instantly, and I drop to my knees.
"RUE!! God, are you alright?" I already knowthe answer. Her face already looks older, gaining age every second. "Rue..." I put my hand to her cheek, gently caressing it.
"Katniss, I'm sorry for yelling at you." I let out a puff of air through my nose, as if I was laughing. "Win for me. I know you love Prim, so go home."

"Okay. I will." I didn't know Rue well, but well enough to know that I love her. Not a faked, forced love for Gale, but a true love like for Prim.

"I wish I could have met Prim. She seems wonderful. Like you. Promise me you'll win?"

"I promise." I lean down to kiss her forehead.

"Katniss, I never told you this but my favorite thing in the world is music..." Rue's words fade away, and her eyes begin to turn glossy. I am about to turn my head to cry, but I hear one last thing come out of Rue's mouth. "Sing..."

Sing? Rue wants me to sing? Her last dying wish is for me to sing? I open my mouth, but then a horrible choked sound escapes my mouth. Like a mix of a choke and a cough and a sneeze and a gag. The cannon hasn't sounded yet. "Rue..." Then I start singing, a song my father taught me years ago. I haven't sung in years, but I open my mouth once again and let sweet sounds flood through.

Deep in the meadow, under the willow
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow
Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes
And when again they open, the sun will rise.

Here it's safe here, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
And when again it's morning, they'll wash away.

Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.

A tear slips from my already watery eye. Her cannon fires, leaving me with myself, a dead Rue, a desccending hovercraft and a whole lot of Mockingjays that begin singing my song. Here is the place where I love you. I love Rue, here is the place where I realized that. Then I remember my dream, where the boy told me he loved me in the meadow full of yellow flowers. He told me he loved me. Then he lost me. I didn't tell Rue I loved her. And I still lost her.

A/N
Okay so that part was kinda cliche but ya know. You have to include the meadow song:) ps I get really emotional when it comes to Hunger Games so I may or may not be crying right now. okayy that was super cheesy but I had to do something dramatic muahahha k bye:)
~sugarsweetswiftie aka Jamie;)