Chapter 4

PRIM'S P.O.V

I can hardly believe I was chosen for the Hunger Games, the deadly competition where 24 children from ages 12-18, all coming from different districts fight to the death. Katniss volunteered for me. What a radical thing to do. I am sure all of Panem is impressed. I am so scared for her, even though she will probably come home. I just don't want to get my hopes up. I also cannot believe Gale, of all people will be with her! Surely, one of them will stay until the Top 5. I replay the reaping over and over again until it is permanently etched into my mind. Katniss always thought I was too young, too weak, too fragile to understand most things, especially things regarding theHunger Games. She thought I didn't understand the horrors of the Capitol, but I know why she hates them. It might seem foolish, but I pretend to be very small and weak so Katniss will take care of me more. I hate the Capitol too, but in my heart I know I would do whatever they wanted me to. I wonder how Katniss feels about her predicament.

As I pace back and forth, I daydream about how it would be like if Katniss won. We'd be filthy rich, famous and even I would be adored by the Capitol. Maybe people would even like me at school.

I never told anyone this, but I always had been bullied, from kindergarten to now. Everyone at school hates me. I never told Katniss or anyone. I knew if I told her she would probably beat up the kids in a rage. Sometimes, I cried myself to sleep, but told my mother and sister I was afraid of the Hunger Games. This boy Tyson would lead the schoolchildren and they would tease me about my blond hair and whatnot. It is interesting being different from everyone else, but I wish I was like Katniss. She is so pretty and brave and has beautiful dark hair. My ugly blond mess of hair and strangely bright blue eyes are not attractive. They stand out too much. The only person in the entire district that shares the same features as me besides my mother is the baker's son, Peeta Mellark. He is sixteen though. Does he ever get bullied? No, everyone loves him. Even girls my age gossip about how strong or handsome he is. I am so confused! I remember how he caught my sister today at the reaping. He gave her a look of genuine sadness, love and something I cannot describe. How kind.

The day is fading away,and it is time for dinner. I see my mother is preparing a meal with the very few ingredients we have. Katniss went hunting this morning, but the food will only last a few days. My mother has some money saved up, I hope it is enough....

My mother sets out a bowl of hot broth with chunks of wild turkey, adn we eat in silence. I love my mother so much, and I hope she won't have to lose her eldest daughter.

"Prim..." My mother sighs as I glance up. "Prim, dear. I love you so much. I am so sorry about our situation here, but we can help her."

"Who?" I ask, although I know exactly who she is talking about.
"Katniss." My mom exhales loudly.
"How can we help? It's not like we can go to the Capitol or something," I say frustratedly.
"Prim, I have money saved up. You know that you can send money to Haymitch Abernathy, her mentor and he will send Katniss gifts in the arena. Those gifts may be her life or death in the arena. We should ask people to chip in so we can send her our love."
"What about Gale?"
"The money is split between the two of them unless one of them doesn't make it..." My mother trails off. But she does have a great point! If Katniss is starving we can send her food, or a blanket if she is freezing. "Maybe we should start tomorrow. Asking people." My mom suggests. I don't want to start tomorrow, I want to start right now! I am almost positive most people won't donate this early in the games but whatever. My mother catches the determined look on my face. "Oh,alright. You can start now. But it is near sundown. Only ask a few homes."

I try to think of who will be a llikely bet to help. Katniss's only friend was Gale, I think. I will start with the Hawthorne family.

When I arrive at their home, which is even tinier and dirtier than ours, I hear yelling and banging and all sorts of commotion. I step inside, and see Hazelle, Gale's mother crying, while Posy, Rory and Vick, his siblings, fought. I feel bad for them, because Gale, the main supporter is gone and Hazelle has three other kids to take care of. I am about to leave secretively when Rory catches my eye. Rory is my age, and he sometimes defends me at school when the tormenting gets out of hand. But he usually doesn't. Rory tells Hazelle and they both come to me.

"Oh, Prim." Hazelle sighs. " Would you like some tea?" Tears are streaming down her face and it doesn't seem right to ask her for money.

"No thank you. I am very sorry for everything." I try to comfort Hazelle, and thankfully my presence has ceased the arguing between Rory, Posy and Vick. Little Posy doesn't understand and keeps asking, "Where is Gale?"

"Posy, Gale isn't here right now. But you will see him soon. I promise." I tell Posy. But how can I promise her that when I have no intention of having Gale come back?

Rory walks to me. " Don't be sorry. It is not your fault. Not my fault either. Don't be sad." Rory doesn't say this kindly or comfortingly. Why shouldn't I be sad? Isn' that the whole point? "Don't be sad, depressed. Don't cry."
"Why??"
"Be angry. It's the Capitol's fault. It is their fault Katniss and Gale are gonna die."
"Well they could come back." I reply.
''Yeah, yeah. They will come back. Of course the Capitol will allow two vicors, especially if they are from District 12." Rory's tone unsettles me, so I give Posy, Vick and Hazelle one last hug then leave. What is up with Rory? He was always kind to me, and maybe the closest thing I have ever had to a friend. These days he has been acting so strange...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey everyone! Have a good night! Hope you enjoyed this chapter. This is from Prim's point of view. The next chapter will also be from her point of view. Thank you all! I love seeing people reading this story, even if it is only a few chapters long. I don't know if I will be able to update tomorrow because I am really busy on Wednesdays, but I'll try to maybe post twice on Thursday? We will see how everything turns out. Well, good night! And so, so, sorry if there are spelling errors or things like that, or if something is confusing. Byeeeeee;)