You're Right

Sean's POV

"Cream!" Kaycee declared passionately.

"No! That's yucky!" I grimaced.

"First of all, who the hell says 'yucky' and second, why not cream? It looks so much better than a gloomy color like grey." She scoffed with her arms crossed on her chest.

"Grey has maturity and it would make the colors pop more!" I voiced, letting my arms flail everywhere. "Cream is bland!"

Our voices echoed in the new spacious house that was now owned by the woman in front of me. Her eyebrows were furrowed with concentration as she stared at the four walls, her head slightly tilted. "Sean, I don't see it. Think about it. Literally every other wall in the house is cream, grey would throw it off."

"Would you guys stop yelling?! Jeez, this isn't even my house and I still have to tell you?" Laura asked in amusement, leaning in the door frame. I cleared my throat at our childlike behavior and straightened myself.

"How about we come back to this later? Let's go do some grocery shopping, yes?" She said with suggestive eyes. Both Kaycee and I let out a sigh and followed Laura out of the room, not uttering another word to each other.

I couldn't help but snicker at the sight. My best friend was so stubborn sometimes. Kaycee and I went in her car while Laura and Brad went in theirs. We agreed to meet at Whole Foods then Walmart since it would take longer.

"I never asked you. Are you not a bit scared to be living on your own?" I asked her as I buckled my seatbelt. Kaycee shook her head while backing out of her driveway after her mother.

"I've been wanting my own space for a while now. I think this will be a great move for me. You don't think so?" She questioned, glancing at me before dividing her attention to the road. I caught the slight frown she had due to my doubt.

"No- I mean, yes! I think it'll be great for you. I just don't want you to rush things, you know? There are various responsibilities that come with owning a house and-"

"And you don't think I can handle it." She voiced with a disappointed sigh. "I didn't say that." I said in reassurance, giving her knee a squeeze.

"You're implying it." My best friend said. She finally turned to me while we were at a red light.

"I just want you to be safe, Kayc." I said, locking eyes with her. My hands settled on hers, letting my thumb stroke the back of hers slowly.

"It's a gated area, I have security cameras, and a police station is 3 blocks away. How much safer can I be?" She reasoned. It didn't feel like enough. I couldn't be honest and tell her I wanted to be with her. That I wanted to be the one to protect her.

I averted my gaze from her disappointed one and buried myself in my phone. "Is it so hard to be happy for me, Sean?" Kaycee asked, turning her attention back to the road, sadness laced in her voice.

"Please- It has nothing to do with that. I'm proud of you, you know that." I said passionately.

"But are you happy for me?" My best friend emphasized. "I wouldn't be a real friend if I wasn't." I responded.

"Sean, will you just answer the question?" She exclaimed. I shook my head in disbelief at how relentless my friend was. I distracted myself by looking at the road.

"Kaycee, just drop it. Please." I begged softly. "I don't want to fight with you."

She huffed, fully pulling her hand away from mine. I sighed softly, watching her movements. For the duration of the ride, she didn't spare me another glance. We pulled into a parking spot further from the doors. She grabbed her mask from her purse then put it on, collecting all that she needed. "Kayc, don't be mad at-" I was cut off by her slamming her car door shut then walking away from it.