Damsel in Distress (2)

Kaycee's POV

Kaycee never had a lot of people in her life. She had only a sister and a mother who wanted nothing to do with her as they constantly made it a point that Kaycee brought "negative energy" to their lives. Friends were never a thought in Kaycee's mind either. The closest thing she had as a friend was a girl named Olive in high school. And that was just because she'd frequently ask the former for a pen and always gave it back.

Kaycee lived a simple life, always seeing the world in black and white. So when Sean, the guy who just saved her from her desired death, offered for her to sleepover, her heart beat loud in her ears. Her breathing had a slight shift as she grew a little anxious. There wasn't so much as a hum that came from her.

Judging by her reaction, Sean let out a sad sigh. "I take it that this will be your first time?" He asked. His eyes beamed with curiosity as he watched the way Kaycee shuffled her feet to the doors they'd meet Bailey at.

Scared that she'd run off, Sean held the troubled girl's hand gently. He wasn't sure if she was shaking due to the cold weather or some form of trauma. All he knew was that she needed to feel cared for, anything involving happiness. Sean deemed himself lucky when Bailey welcomed the broken girl with open arms. He knew she wasn't in the best of moods since they just fought, but if there was one thing about his best friend, it was that she cared for others deeply. It never mattered what their relationship was, she'd do anything to make them feel loved or safe.

Kaycee gave Bailey a sheepish wave, one that the latter softly smiled at. The car ride to Sean's loft-like apartment was peaceful on this starry night. He had to constantly fight the urge to give her a reassuring smile as they drove through the average traffic of Los Angeles.

The broken girl was taken aback. She could instantly tell the other passengers in the vehicle were anything but street smart. She would never harm a soul intentionally, but she couldn't help but worry for the two beings in front of her. They had trusted a stranger into their car, then was escorting her to one's apartment with absolutely no hesitance.

As Kaycee thought of their dumb yet generous action, she thought about the building Sean found her on. It was almost monumental to her. That was the only place she felt truly at peace. It was her reverie that she wanted to bask in before taking the fatal fall. The city lit up like the Christmas tree she never had the blessing of decorating. The gentle breeze fanning against her tear-stained, naturally rosy cheeks.

She adored the warmth it gave her, providing the illusion that there was something out there for her. Believed it to be a hug from Mother Nature herself. She felt so small and insignificant in the world she stared at for hours on end. She began to wonder if her emotions would drive her to the top of that building once again. It sparked a lick of concern in her head, but Sean's smile dismissed it from her head completely.

And that moment when he sat next to her on that rooftop replayed in her head. She recalled how welcoming and friendly he was despite the potentially fatal situation. That feeling was almost foreign to her since she hadn't felt it in so long. So long that she couldn't even name it. All she knew was it made her eyes tear and her heart pound against her chest.

"Kayc?" She snapped out of her intrusive thoughts and saw Sean beside her. He was kindly offering his hand to her, a sheepish grin on his face. Sean was slowly working his way into studying her. The spontaneous idea he had of offering his home to a complete stranger didn't bother him in the slightest. He had hope for her.

"I'll go run you a shower and you could just borrow some of my clothes that I have here." Bailey offered once they entered into Sean's humble abode. Kaycee smiled softly as Bailey hurried to her task without her response.