Break the Rules

Sean's POV

I took the last remaining sip of herbal tea in the mug then proceeded with what felt like an endless editing process. This was how most of my days went. I tried my best to be productive every day, but this time was different. I couldn't go outside without a three-layered fabric over my mouth and nose. Even then, I had to maintain a distance with strangers and those who I care for.

The clicking noise that filled my room for almost 3 hours halted as my phone began ringing. After a couple seconds, I answered the call, not even caring to look at the screen name. "Yoohoo, shon loo!" I heard the voice ring from my phone. I immediately felt a sense of happiness set in my stomach, almost like butterflies.

"Kaycee Rice!" I yelled cheerfully. "How's it going?" I asked, diverting my attention to the angelic face on my screen. A smile spread onto my face as I saw her in my 'working artists' hoodie with her curls out.

"I'm bored! A genius isn't in my garage all day anymore." She whined jokingly but then let her giggles follow. "I miss you, shamu." She said, her lips forming a slight pout.

"I miss you too, Kayc." I replied, my smile faltering a bit. "I have no one to accidentally hit me where the sun doesn't shine." I said to make her laugh, in which I succeeded. I'd do anything to hear her precious giggle.

"Speaking of, I just finished watching the WOD behind the scenes videos. I just had to call you after." Kaycee said, bringing her knees up to her chest.

Knowing her house as well as my own, I could see that she was in her living room. Too caught up in her beauty, I failed to hear her talking. "...then I did some- Sean! Are you listening to me?" She asked.

"Of course. I just got a little distracted." I responded. She sighed and sat back in her chair. "You're editing, aren't you?" She questioned. I already knew she knew the answer to her own question. Kaycee knew me inside out without even having to study.

"Guilty." I mumbled while raising my hand, causing her to groan and roll her eyes. "Sean, will you just relax for a minute? All you do is work." She sighed, running a hand through the curls that framed her face.

"But Kayc, this is important to me. This is when we-" I started but she cut me off. "I know that." She paused. "I just don't want you to overwork yourself. You're always doing something that gets you anxious and frustrated. Chill a little."

"Kaycee, you alone can make me frustrated and guess what, this is where I can let go! Clearly, it's working for me." I reasoned. Kaycee sighed and looked down at her hands. "This film is big for us. I just want to make it worth the wait...and the struggle." I said honestly.

Kaycee's eyes soften when she looks up at me. "I get it." She said in a small voice. She hugged her knees then rested her chin on one of them. I could see the slight sadness in her eyes, causing my heart to drop a little. With a quiet sigh, I saved my work and turned off my computer before moving my phone to lean against it.

"There. No more editing for today. Just you and me. Sean and Kaycee, yeah?" I said with a small smile. The way my best friend's face lit up like a million stars made my heart soar. "All I ever wanted." She beamed while clapping her hands.

"You're so obsessed with me." I said shaking my head. Anyway, what have you been up to?" I asked, getting comfy in my chair. Kaycee gave me a bored look.

"You said you were listening!" She exclaimed while giggling. "Sean!" She whined in amusement, putting her head in her hands. I blushed as I got caught in my lie. "Then what were you doing when I was talking?!" She asked, her voice going up an octave.

"...staring at you." I mumbled but enough for her to hear. She giggled even harder, now blushing at my answer. "And I'm allegedly obsessed with you, really Lew?"

"I really do miss you, Kayc." I said softly. My chin rested in my palm as my heart soared at the smile that just widened on her face. "First off, stop looking at me like that. Second, I miss you more."

"Bullshit." I glared jokingly. "Mr. Lew, language!" She gasped, but the cute grin on her face told me otherwise, causing me to laugh. "You love it. And what do you mean? How am I looking at you, Ms. Rice?"

"Like you want to kiss me." Kaycee said bluntly. A smirk rose on my lips. I rolled my eyes then sat back in my chair. "What if I do?"

Kaycee blushed even harder at my response. Kaycee and I had somewhat of a weird relationship. We were best friends, and remained that way...However, after a while, we developed feelings for each other. I just couldn't help it. She was the only person that fully understood me and reminded me to be me. I loved her for that.

"Shut up, Lew." She smiled, shaking her head. She quickly hid her face as I began taking pictures of her with my camera. We laughed together as she gave in and began making silly faces. After another 15 minutes, she told me she had to run an errand so I let her go.

"Call me later, okay?" I asked with pleading eyes and a pouty lip. "I promise." Kaycee giggled before ending the call. I felt the most powerful of butterflies swarm around in my stomach once the call ended.

She made me feel I was walking on water and that it was inevitable to drown. Oh, and her eyes, they sparkled with an invitation to be filled with comfort and laughter.

I fought the urge to edit and instead took a shower and started making drafts in the garage. I saw Serris poke her head out through the door so I paused the music. "Sean, there's a delivery here for you." Serris said with a small smile.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I hadn't ordered anything in the past month. I wiped the light sweat on my forehead with my shirt while following Serris out of the garage. "I put it in your room." She informed me.

I went upstairs, grabbing a bottle of water on the way, and into my room. Right when I opened the door, I saw a box on my bed. "From: Your angel." I read, a smile settling on my lips.

I opened the box and saw a bunch of snacks or games Kaycee and I enjoyed together. Calming my blush, I went back downstairs to grab my phone so I could call my source of giddiness.

I dialed her on facetime, in which she answered right away. "Miss me already, Lew?" She asked innocently. I walked back in the direction of my room so that no one could hear my conversation with her.

"Why didn't you tell me that you were sending me something? I would've sent something too." I said in disbelief. Kaycee laughed silently. "Well that's the meaning of a surprise. It's supposed to be spontaneous and sudden." Kaycee said. Her voice was soft, as if she was trying to be quiet.

"So what? You know what? The next time I see you, you will feel my wrath." I said before going back into my room. There she was. Sitting on the edge of my bed with a mask covering what I knew was a luminous smile.

I stood there in shock. After months of not seeing her, here she was. "Can I break the social distancing rule?" I asked, feeling my hands starting to twitch. I was just itching to hold her.

"Of course, Lewser." She smiled, practically running into my arms. I hugged her tight around the waist while her arms wrapped around my neck.

Kaycee pulled away slightly then settled her hands on the sides of my face. "If this is what your wrath feels like, I have to really piss you off next time."

I laughed then threw her onto my bed. "Too late." I smirked, crawling into the bed beside her.