~~~~~

Opal POV

   I'm unsure how, but I managed to sleep for almost five hours without tears and without nightmares. Looking at the time on the bedside clock I see I have exactly one hour to be ready for my date.

   A date. A real date. Chris had already given me a look into what tonight will be, and it sent a shock through me. A good old fashioned date.  The idea excites me, and maybe scares me all at the same time.

   I shave, shower and wash my hair. There are some things I don't have here at the Inn, like my straightener or most of my make up, but luckily for me I do at least keep a couple of make up items with me in my purse at all times. There's not a large assortment of clothes, a few I options I had left from the wedding weekend, and I'm unsure how fancy this date is going to be. Deciding I should check on that part of it, I send Chris a text.

Me- Fancy? or Casual? I don't have many options here.

Chris- got anything to mix the two? Fancy casual?

Me- never heard that one before. I'll see what I can come up with.

   After digging through the small closet I decide on skinny jeans, a mustard yellow long sleeve peplum top that is slightly flowy, and my brown flats. I'd prefer ankle booties, but I can only work with what I've got.  I do at least have the jewelry I was wearing last night, and it lays perfectly above the v-neck in my top.

   I decide I need to do something with this straight as a board hair, other than tossing it up. I put a small braid down one side of it and brush once more through the rest. Just as I place the brush on the counter, there's a knock across the door. My stomach suddenly a flutter with nerves.

   When I open the door, Chris is standing there, dressed in navy khakis and a grey crew neck sweater, looking impossibly yummy. Before he can come at me with his patented 'hi beautiful or hi gorgeous' I speak first. "Hi handsome."

   He smiles back at me, "you beat me to it. You look beautiful as always."

   "Thanks," I respond softly. For whatever reason, I suddenly feel very shy under the gaze of his blue eyes.

   "Ready?" I respond with a nod and grab my purse. Stepping out of the carriage house I lock the door behind me. "What is the plan?" I ask him, hoping to calm some of these nerves.

   "I thought we'd grab a bite to eat, and then I have a little surprise, if you're up for it," he says casually as he opens his car door for me.

   "We'll see," I tease, sliding into his passenger seat. Chris manages to snicker at my joke before closing the door behind me.

~~~~~

Chris POV

   "How did you even know about this place?" Opal asks me as I pull the car into a parking space.

   "Let's say, I did a little research before I fell asleep," I tell her. I notice her hand reach for the door handle. "No ma'am." She looks back at me confused while I quickly get myself out of the car and over to her side, opening the door for her.

   "You really don't have to keep doing that," she says with an eye roll.

   "Sweetheart, if I ever stop doing that, be concerned," I tell her honestly.

   During my research for things to do tonight I had stumbled across a restaurant that sits right on the river that runs through downtown. I was surprised when I called and they still had an available reservation, it is Saturday night after all.