𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝗦𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻

"Where are we going, [First Name]?" Manjiro asked, following right behind you.

It's summer. And it's the middle of the day. The scorching heat of the sun felt painful as it touches your skin. 'I took off my jacket since it felt stuffy but...' you glanced over your shoulder, looking back at the blonde boy. "Did you say something...?" you asked. You were too hot to hear him clearly.

Mikey stopped walking and stared at you. You only followed what he did subconsciously. "Mikey?" He broke off the eye contact by closing his eyes for a moment. You only stared at him curiously. When he opened his eyes again, he have this smug smile playing on his lips, "Can't take it anymore, [First Name]? Then, should I carry you on my back?"

You stared at him. 'How did he even come up with that idea?'

"... Uh, it's already hot enough, I don't need additional body heat. And I still can walk properly... Kinda unnecessary, to be honest." you answered with a low voice. His face turned from being proud to disappointing to pouting. Of course, you didn't miss the bit of embarrassment that was expressed in his face as well.

He huffed and continued walking. You only followed his movements tiredly as he passes you. "I only said that because you might suddenly pass out as you did during elementary, just that, 'kay?" he turned around, pointing at you with his index finger.

Although it was more than twenty years ago, you suddenly remembered what he was talking about. You two were going to go somewhere but because of too much heat from the sun, you ended up passing out. So Manjiro had to carry you to the nearest shade to rest. It was Shinichiro who found you both sleeping under the shadow of a tree, apparently. It's an old memory so you don't really remember well.

You stared at him for a moment before smiling like usual. "It's hot but, well, do you think this is enough to bring me down? I grew up too, you know?"

'That time the AC broke down in my office for a week during summer, it was even hotter.'

Manjiro only looked at you and waited for you to continue. "Though, if I do faint here, I'm counting on you to take care of me, Mikey." You smiled. He continued to stare at you in awe for another moment,

"But I bet you're heavy now. I don't think I'll be able to carry you this time." And he went back to normal.

"..."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"So, we're going to Takemichy's place?"

"Yeah, he got discharged from the hospital a few days ago but I was kind of busy so I couldn't visit," you sighed, "He's an outsider but we got him involved. He stepped in himself but we should've stopped him. We're pretty much at fault here. The most we can do is to visit him. Have already gone to visit, Mikey?" you asked as you glanced over your shoulders. You waited for a reply but got silence instead.

He was looking away, awkwardly. "Mikey..." you mumbled. "I was busy too, you know?" he pouted.

"Busy with what?"

"Uh... Yeah! My homework!

"I checked earlier, you only finished one homework. And it was Emma who did it too."

"How did you-"

"Mikey, your handwriting is messy. There's no way you wrote that super neat paragraph."

"... You're strangely blunt today, [First Name]." he paused for a moment. And then laughed. "It doesn't really matter if I couldn't visit Takemitchy since we're going to do that right now anyway." you sighed and had already given up. "But really, next time you involve an outsider in the gang's mess, you should go and apologize to them. Especially if they're someone you-" Not only did you stop talking mid-sentence, you also stopped walking. Mikey, curious as to why you suddenly went silent tilted his head to see ahead. You simply stared in silence at the boy, who's the same age as you, who just left someone you know so well house. 

Mikey immediately stepped forward in front of you, facing Draken. "Huh? The hell're you doing here?"

"Ah? More like, the hell're you doin' here?"

Hearing some whispers, you raised your head and glanced at the windows from the second floor of Takemichi's house. Your underclassmen, who are Takemichi's buddies were present as well, watching the drama happening outside.

"Mikey-kun? [Last Name]-san?" and then you dropped your gaze to Takemichi, who looked more surprised more than anyone present. You sneakily went beside him, whispering. "You alright now?" He was startled but he regained his composure immediately and answered, "Ah, yes! But what are you and Mikey-kun doing here?" Moving your jacket from your left arm to your right, you stared at the two. "I heard that you were discharged. So I went here with Mikey to visit you. To meet Draken here, what a coincide-"

"Hey [First Name]!" Draken turned his attention to you, with an irritated glare. "You messaged me last night to go and visit Takemitchy and go to the part immediately, so I did. What the hell are you planning?!"

You immediately looked away, feigning ignorance at his words. 

Takemichi was speechless, Draken was angry and Mikey was confused. 

"[Last Name]-san, you..." Takemichi muttered, not daring to finish what he wanted to say. But you could already guess the continuation of his statement. '... despite knowing that both Draken and Mikey are both a mess because of their argument, you made them meet anyways.'

You rolled your eyes, sighing. "Since they argued, they should fix their problem as soon as possible. Dragging it out will only result in trouble." before Draken died, there was indeed an internal conflict in Toman. And so, during the festival in the fight with Moebius, there was difficulty in leading Toman. 

Of course, it would be harder to fix their relationship if this continues longer. You, of all people, know that. 

While in a daze, you failed to notice that Takemichi was already gone from your side and moved in between the two fierce middle-schooler, trying to stop a fight from breaking out. Mikey walked away and you could see the relief in Takemichi's eyes, assuming that they really listened to him. However, contrasting from his thoughts, Mikey grabbed a nearby bike, holding it up in the air single-handedly. 

Takemichi's eyes almost popped out at the sight, filled with panic, he tried to reach out to Mikey but it was too late. Mikey threw it towards Draken's direction and the poor guy could only stand in place so that he won't be hit by the bike. Draken easily dodged it, and the bike crashed at the wall behind. It completely shattered from the impact. 

You could only look pitifully at Takemichi, who kneeled helplessly on the ground, surrounded by the broken pieces of his precious items. 

Though, you admit that it is a bit funny.

"You wanna finish this right here?" Mikey glared.

And then, Draken, confidently replied, "Bring it on."

You were completely prepared to stop them, but Takemichi did it first. With an unusual pissed-off expression on his face, Takemichi stepped up in between the two. "Not so fast. Stop right there. You bastards..."

You were honestly surprised by the sudden change. You have never seen the boy with that kind of expression, So at this point, you couldn't predict what will happen next. But it felt like there's no need for you to interfere. And so, you nonchalantly leaned your back on the wall, watching them curiously. 'As long as everything goes well, then it's fine...'

bark bark bark bark?

Published: December 15, 2021