NEVER SAY NEVER

Delilahs POV

Living in district 4 and being a born swimmer I never pictured that drowning would be the way I'm sent off. I am Delilah Everdeen, I was born to love the ocean and it's deadliness. The rips that could kill someone in a blink of an eye, or the morning tide that washed over the sparkling shore. It's kind of ironic having the threat of drowning overtaking my mind, never in a million years would have I ever pictured myself in a situation where something I cherish the most would be my ultimate downfall.

Never say Never.

The universe is set on me carrying out the family tradition, Mum and Dad being it's first official victims.

I try to swim against the merciless current, though my body is just pulled further and further under. It's as if a rock is attached to my leg, and every time I attempt to reach the surface it punishes me by dragging my body further into the darkness.

This could save them killing me, if I die right now they don't have to feel guilty because it won't be their fault.

The violence of the tide doesn't give in, continuing to fly around my weak body.
Think about your brothers Delilah, they wouldn't cope if I were to die the same death Mum and Dad were faced with.

Imagine Blade.

The thought triggers something inside of me, all of a sudden my legs snap into action. The cornucopia slows down, before it's completely stopped spinning in general. My chest screams at me for air as my vision goes in and out of focus. Black patches quickly take over my eyesight, warning me that I'm running out of time.

10 meters

5 meters

3 meters

1 meters

I break the surface, gasping for air.

I made it.

'DELILAH!?'

Multiple arms come to my aid, pulling my breathless body out of the water and onto a rock.
My head is placed gently onto the warm surface, catching my breath in the process.

I look up to see Katniss, Peeta, Finnick and Joanna gawking down at me. Half of them with tears lingering in their eyes.

'Your alive, your actually alive!' Katniss gasps, wrapping her shaking arms around my head. She holds onto me like I'll disappear, silent sobs leaving her vulnerable state.

'Can't get rid of me that easily' I remark, making a relieved laugh escape her lips.

A punch suddenly impales my arm, catching my full attention. My gaze turns to Joanna who quickly wipes away a single tear in embarrassment .

'Umm, ouch!'

'Couldn't help yourself hey? Just had to make me freak the fuck out and think you died, always an attention seeker' she gives a small chuckle before standing to her feet and walking away.

Anyone who didn't personally know Joanna would think she couldn't care less or just didn't like me in general, but even seeing this much emotion come out of her is unlike anything I've ever seen before.