BROKEN PROMISES

Delilahs POV

It's been a couple weeks since Katniss and Peeta's engagement party.

I returned home and made myself unknown to almost everyone around me. Once again my brothers were the only ones I surrounded myself with, and Mags on the odd occasion.

Mags and I have had a strong relationship ever since I won my own games, she used to bring me pre cooked meals when I was too depressed to make my own. She's like a grandmother figure in my life and I know exactly what she's saying without having to try and figure out her contorted language.

I would die for that woman any day of the week, she's too precious and kind for this world. Much like how I was before the capital and the games corrupted me.

Ever since the scene I made in the bathroom with Finnick I had made it my life's mission to avoid him, there's no way I could face him.

'What time does the announcement go live?' Noah asks leaning on the back of my chair.

We are in the living room waiting for President Snow to announce this years quarter quell.

You never know what they might pull out of their hats these days.

Every 25 years, there is a Quarter Quell edition of the Hunger Games. Quells mark the anniversaries of the districts' defeat by the Capitol, and include special celebrations.

The Games involves some sort of twist that makes them even more disastrous or difficult to compete in, or watch. A small box has small yellow envelopes containing specific themes or twists for each Quarter Quell. These instructions were planned at the founding of the Hunger Games. The President selects the appropriate card and reads it on live television to announce the theme of that year's Quell.

In the 25th Hunger Games, the citizens of the districts had to vote on who would compete in the Hunger Games as a way of reminding the rebels that they are responsible for them, and it is their fault that their children die in the games every year.

It's a sick place we live in.

In the 50th Hunger Games, four tributes were chosen from each district instead of the usual two to remind the rebels that for each Capitol citizen killed, two rebels died. This put twice as many people in the arena and made it twice as brutal. Haymitch Abernathy of District 12 won in the second Quarter Quell after using the arena's force field as a weapon.

'It should be starting any second-

I'm cut off by Ceasar Flickerman appearing on our TV.

'And now we are live at the capital and ready for the announcement for this years Quarter Quell!' He cheers with his signature smile.

Blade and Ace join Noah and I, taking a seat both to my left and right.

'Everything's going to be fine Maisy' Blade gives me a soft smile, trying his best to comfort me.

The comfort disappears the moment Snows face replaces Caesar's, he's sitting in his office with a yellow envelope between his dirty hands.

He gives a smile as he opens the envelope, his smile grows even wider before he reads it to the camera.

My heart is in my throat waiting for him to announce it, my hands start to sweat as my foot taps the ground.

On the 75th anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that even the strongest among them cannot overcome the power of the Capitol, the male and female tributes will be reaped from their existing pool of victors.

I wait for him to say it's some sort of joke, that it was all just a big misunderstanding.

But he doesn't, instead.