Chapter 29

Dawn regained conscious and awoke in a hospital bed. "Dawn," Orion addressed. "Try not to move too much,"

'I don't remember much,' Dawn thought. 'What happened?' 

Before she could sign her question, Orion knew what she wanted to ask. "You were kidnapped by a gang called Manwol. Donald and Kingsley rescued you,"

Dawn saw that no one else was in the room. 'Where's Donald?'

Orion noticed her confusion. "Donald needed to get out so he could calm down. He couldn't sit still and bear the sight of you like this. Kingsley went with him to make sure he doesn't get arrested. Are you hungry? You didn't eat dinner yet. Do you want me to grab you something from the cafeteria real quick?"

Dawn shook her head. "Not hungry,"

"Are you sure?"

Dawn nodded. "I'm fine,"

"Gray's on his way here," Orion informed. "I had him bring some snacks so you'll at least have something to eat in case you do get hungry,"

XXX

"How are you feeling?" Gray asked his cousin.

Dawn didn't even try to sign and instead looked away.

But Gray could easily read her expression. "Dawn, you're not useless,"

"I trained hard with Dad but I got kidnapped,"

"Because you were outnumbered," Gray pointed out. "They were also older than you, bigger than you, and stronger than you. They had more experience with fighting while you only had experience sparring with Uncle Orion,"

"I'm weak,"

"Even if I were with you, we'd both have still lost," Gray told her. "We're both not powerful fighters," 'I wasn't able to do anything to help Stephen when Oswald Yang and Bryce Oh were bullying him. You're training hard to increase your physical strength while I'm just focused on studying. If anyone's weak, it's me,'

Dawn's phone buzzed, indicating that she had received a text.

Big Ben:
Sorry, I won't be able to
play games for a while

Dawn:
Why?

Big Ben:
I got into a fight so now
I'm in the hospital

Dawn:
I'm also hospitalized

Big Ben:
WHAT

Big Ben:
WHO HURT YOU

Dawn:
Some gang called Manwol
kidnapped me and beat
me up

Dawn:
I'm fine now

Big Ben:
WHERE ARE YOU

Dawn looked over to Gray. "Which hospital are we in?"

"Malkeun Hospital, Room 304,"

Dawn:
Malkeun

Big Ben:
That's the hospital I'm
in

Big Ben:
What room are you in?

Dawn:
Room 304

Big Ben:
Alex and I are coming
over to see you

Within minutes, the two boys burst into the hospital room. "Dawn!"

"Shh," Gray shushed them. "We're in a hospital so don't yell,"

Dawn's face changed into one of horror when she saw all of their wounds. "What happened?"

"We got into a fight with some assholes," Alex told her. "Ben...he got his arm hurt when he protected me,"

"GoGo, don't be so glum!" Ben slung his uninjured arm over Alex's shoulder. "I told you that I'll heal up in no time!"

"Yeah," Alex put on a fake smile but still felt guilty. 'If I hadn't been hanging out with Sean Shin and his gang, I wouldn't have gotten into a fight with Jimmy Bae and you wouldn't have fought Donald Na,'

"Dawn," Ben's expression became serious. "What can you tell me about this Manwol gang?" 'Is Manwol the name of the gang that red eyed bastard runs? I'll kill him! He already hurt me and Alex, but now he hurt Dawn!?'

"Dawn's brother rescued her and dealt with Manwol," Gray informed. 

"I'm sorry that I wasn't there for you, Dawn," Ben apologized. 'There are a lot of strong people in this world. I need to get stronger,'

'I hate it,' Dawn thought. 'I hate how everyone's apologizing to me for not protecting me. It's my own fault for being weak!' She gripped her bedsheet but tried to keep her poker face on. 'Why am I so weak!? Was all that training I did with Dad for nothing!? I said I wanted to learn how to fight to protect my precious people, but I couldn't! I'm still the one being protected!'

There was a soft knock at the door. "Gray, is Dawn awake?"

"Yeah," Gray answered.

Ben and Alex froze. That voice...it sounded familiar. It belonged to the man they had just fought recently, the man who injured Ben's arm and nearly killed him. But...it couldn't be him, right?

The door opened and Donald Na entered. He held a giant walrus plushy in his arms so he couldn't immediately see Ben and Alex. He handed the stuffed animal to Dawn, whose face lit up with joy upon seeing the plushy.

"I figured that you'd want a stuffed animal to keep you company at the hospital," Donald told her in a very gentle tone. "Since Hyunjin II was lost in a fire, this one can be Hyunjin III,"

(Somewhere far away, Hyunjin sneezed.)

Dawn hugged the Hyunjin III tightly. 'So warm and fluffy!'

Ben and Alex were silent, both from shock and fear. Donald Na was a monster, someone that even Big Ben couldn't defeat. But...how did such a monster know Dawn and Gray!?

Donald finally noticed the other two's presence in the room. His expression immediately shifted into a cold glare and he lunged at them, holding both of them by their throats. "Why are you here!? Did you two really stoop so low that you'd go after my sister and my cousin to get revenge against me!?"

Dawn threw Hyunjin III at her brother. Gray put a hand to Donald's shoulder. "Let them go, Donald. They're our friends,"

"Your friends?" Donald dropped the two middle schoolers to the floor. 

"Why are you so hostile to them?" Gray asked.

Donald picked up Hyunjin III and handed him back to Dawn. "Who do you think put them in the hospital?"

Dawn's response was to hit Donald on the head with her walrus plushy.

"I didn't know they were your friends," Donald told her. "If I had known, I would've left them alone,"

"Apologize,"

"I'm not apologizing," Donald refused. 

Dawn pouted.

"Would you rather I give an empty apology?" Donald pointed out. "I'll grab you something to eat. Even if you're not hungry, you should at least take a few bites so you could regain your strength," 

Dawn's upset at Donald.