Chapter 10

Dawn did not like Byuksan Middle School. Since it was one of the more elite schools, similar to Yeo-Il Middle School, the lessons were more advanced. That meant more of time outside of school would be spent doing homework and studying for upcoming lessons, tests, and exams. Gray and Stephen both offered to tutor her if she needed it.

She didn't really like most of her classmates. Most of them came from rich families or had really good networks. They were the type of people who didn't want to interact with those they considered inferior. Sure, there were probably some exceptions, but she didn't want to bother looking for those exceptions.

Even though Byuksan was co-ed, the school was still segregated by genders. This meant that Dawn wouldn't be able to see her cousin and her friend except during breaks and lunchtime. So, most of the time Dawn was by herself. 

'I was never really close with my classmates at Sunnyside Elementary,' Dawn thought. 'I was polite with them and talked to them in class, but I never considered them to be my friends, only classmates. I chose to spend time with Stephen, Kingsley, and Donald instead. I spent the last year of elementary school alone. Will the same be for my final year of middle school and high school?'

"Hi," 

Dawn looked up at the girl that had approached her one day. "Hello,"

"The teacher told us to partner up for a project," She told her. "I noticed that you didn't have a partner. Would you like to be my partner?"

"Are you sure?" Dawn asked. "I'm sure you'd rather partner up with your friends," 'I don't even know who this girl is. I don't really pay attention to my classmates' names,'

"My friends are in a different class," She admitted. "So if you're okay with it, we can partner up together,"

"Okay," Dawn agreed. "I'm Dawn Na by the way,"

"I'm Juhee Na," She took a seat beside her and smiled. 

Dawn expected Juhee to be the type of person who'd force her partner to do all the work, but she was wrong. Juhee was genuinely nice and she did her part in their group project. 

'She's not trying to become my friend,' Dawn knew that Juhee would no longer talk to her once the project was over. 'We're just partners for a project, nothing more,'

"I'm going to a cafe with some friends after school," Juhee told Dawn. "Do you want to come with me and meet them?"

"Huh?" Dawn was confused by the offer. "Why would you want me to go with you?"

"I thought you and I could be friends," Juhee said. "It's fine if you decline,"

Dawn was going to immediately refuse her offer, but paused to think about it. If she had a friend in class...she wouldn't feel as lonely. It wasn't like every single student at Byuksan was stuck up, so Juhee could genuinely be a nice person. Also, Dawn had noticed how Stephen and Gray were growing closer. 

'Maybe it's time I befriend someone other than Stephen,' Dawn accepted Juhee's offer.

XXX

Juhee really was just a nice person. At the cafe, she introduced Dawn to her two friends, Taeyong Hwang and Seungcheon Lee. Taeyong was a really upbeat and cheerful person. His dream was to become a comic artist. Seungcheon was quieter and more down to earth. The four of them chatted together as they ate.

"Dawn," Taeyong inquired. "What's your dream job?" 

"My dream job?" Dawn didn't know how to answer. She couldn't really imagine herself working somewhere besides her dad's bakery. "I don't have one. I just want a job to help support my dad and my big brother. I want to live happily and comfortably," 'Apparently both Taeyong and Juhee are the heirs to their family companies. I admit, I do envy them but I'm happy and content with my current living situation. I have a loving father, a caring big brother, a kind aunt, and a super smart cousin. It's a million times better than when Donald and I were living with our sperm donor and egg donor,'

XXX

Stephen and Gray were fortunate to be placed in the same class. When Dawn had first introduced Gray to Stephen, Gray had found the red-brown haired boy to be a bit odd. Stephen had a history of entering academic competitions when the prize was money and donated all of his winnings to school. Gray noted that even thought Stephen had the potential to be the top of the class, he preferred to stay in the lower ranks.

In the beginning of the school year, it was always Dawn, Stephen, and Gray all hanging out together whenever it wasn't class time. But as days went by, Dawn began to spend more time with Juhee. Stephen wasn't upset. In fact, he was happy since she'd have a friend in the same grade level and she wouldn't be alone when he and Gray graduated from middle school next year. Dawn still made sure to spend time with Stephen and Gray though.

Dawn introduced Juhee to Gray and Stephen and it became common for the four of them to eat lunch together in the cafeteria.

One day, Stephen noticed that there was a boy who was sitting at a table all alone.  "Let's sit over there," So, the four of them sat down beside the boy.

That boy was Bryce Oh.

"Why do you always sit alone?" Stephen asked Bryce. "Let's eat together,"

That was their first encounter with Bryce Oh.

I know that the whole Bryce and Oswald thing didn't happen until their third year of middle school, but I'm changing some things a bit. 

Juhee, Taeyong, and Seungcheon won't play too big of a role in the story. They're just Dawn's friends who are in the same grade as her. Juhee goes to Byuksan with Dawn but Taeyong and Seungcheon go to a different school. They're from another webtoon called The Golden Spoon. Juhee's a nice person so I included her in the story.