Chapter 19

Jake Ji sat at his desk, bored out of his mind. Class was unfortunately going to begin soon, so he had put his phone and manga away. 

"Everyone," The teacher entered the classroom with two students. "We have two new students,"

'Both of them are so smol,' Jake noted.

"My name is Gray Yeon," The taller of the two introduced in a dead toned voice. "This is my cousin, Dawn Na,"

'Gray Yeon's appearance and name are quite feminine,' Jake eyed him suspiciously. 'But I can tell that they're a dude. I've seen way too many traps in anime and manga to be fooled that easily,'

Dawn held up her notebook with words written on it. "Hello, my name is Dawn Na,"

'That's definitely a chick. Since she's writing in her notebook instead of speaking, she's mute. Not everyone is kind and sympathetic, so she might get bullied,' The thought of seeing the new girl being bullied made Jake upset. 'Since I'm the head of Daehyeon, I'll look out for her,'

XXX

Dawn sat down beside Gray. Knowing her cousin's personality, he wouldn't interact with others unless necessary. Dawn didn't want him to be alone, so she had taken the acceleration exam and had passed, hence why she was now in the same class as him instead of a grade below.

When the bell rang for break, Gray chose to stay back and just continue studying. Dawn decided to grab a snack from the school store. She'd bring something back for Gray, probably some milk since that was his favorite drink.

She immediately knew someone was following her. 'That orange haired boy is trying to seem inconspicuous by pretending that he's also heading to the store,'

"Jake," Another boy with a cap and sunglasses addressed the orange haired boy. "Why are you following that girl? You're not turning into a creep, right? If you are, I'm telling Kenny,"

"I'm not being a creep!" Jake denied. "I'm just going to the snack store. Hey Dawn,"

Dawn rolled her eyes and turned to face him. 

"Since you're new here, you don't know where the snack store is, right?"

Dawn immediately realized that she really didn't know where it was. 

"Want me to show you around?"

Dawn eyed him suspiciously. "I don't know you nor do I know if I can trust you,"

Jake stared at Dawn for a few seconds before turning to Dean. "I have no idea what she just signed,"

"I don't know sign language either, man," Dean shrugged.

"Should we ask Timmy?"

"Timothy knows coding languages, not sign language," 

Dawn took out her notebook and wrote down what she had signed. She held it up for them to read.

"We're not bad guys," Jake claimed. "Besides, Dean and I are on our way to the snack shop too so we should just kill two birds with one stone,"

Dawn really wanted to grab a snack as well as a carton of milk for Gray, so she decided to follow them. 'If they try anything, I'll run and then tell Donald,'

"You're younger than us, right?" Jake asked.

"How can you tell?"

"I've seen so many anime and manga where the characters don't look their age," Jake claimed. "I'm an expert at these things,"

"Creep. That's a weird thing to be an expert at,"

"I'm not a creep!" Jake pouted. "Dawn, you can think of me as a big brother. If anyone bullies you or your cousin, just tell me and I'll get them to stop,"

"Why would I put my trust in some random creep I just met?"

"I'm not a creep!" 

"And I should believe you...why?"

"Because I'm just trying to be a good person by showing you around!"

XXX

Dawn placed the carton of milk and Gray's desk with a red bean bun. Dawn had gotten herself some bungeoppang and a bottle of chocolate milk.

"Did that orange haired guy follow you?" Gray asked.

"Creep wanted to show me the way to the snack store,"

"Creep? Dawn, did he do something to you?" Anger filled Gray at the thought of his cousin being harassed.

"No. He just told me to think of him as a big brother. He said that if anyone bullies me or you, to tell him and he'd get them to stop. I'm pretty sure he's an otaku too,"

"Why would he care about us?" 

"Is it wrong to care about other people?" Jake asked. "People who fight or bully others have their reasons, whether they be good or bad, but do I need a reason to help someone?"

"Trust is a very fragile thing," Gray said. "We've only just met. There is no reason for us to trust you," 'We trusted Bryce and he betrayed us,'

"I'm sure you'll both warm up to me in no time!" Jake grinned confidently.

"Jake," Dean shook his head. "Leave them alone,"

XXX

"Are you going straight home?" 

"Yeah," Gray answered. "You?"

"I'm going to stop by Hyunjin's studio to drop off the music sheets I borrowed from him," Dawn signed. "Donald's not gonna panic over me not coming home straight away on the first day of school, right?"

"He probably will," Gray smirked when he thought about Donald overreacting. "He's gotten overprotective lately,"

"It's suffocating sometimes," Dawn agreed. "I understand why he's overprotective, but sometimes it's really annoying,"

""Yeah," Gray nodded in understanding. "I'll see you when you get home,"

"Bye," 

The two then parted ways at the front gate. Dawn made her way to Dorim Shopping Complex and knocked on the door to the basement. Instead of Hyunjin opening the door, it was another tall guy with green hair.

"Do you need something?" Gerard asked. 'Who is this kid?'

'I know that this is where Hyunjin practices,' She took out the music sheets she had borrowed and pointed at Hyunjin's name on it.

"That's Hyunjin's music sheets!" Gerard exclaimed. "Why do you have them!?"

"Who has my music sheets?" Hyunjin walked over to the entrance. "Oh, hey Dawn,"

Dawn handed the papers to him. "I finished looking at them. The song is really nice,"

"Who's this?" Sangman inquired.

"This is Dawn Na," Hyunjin introduced. "She's like a little sister to me,"

His three bandmates were shocked by how soft and gentle his expression was to Dawn. He looked like a completely different person from Slam's salty bassist and songwriter.

Dawn will probably get a pet dog next chapter and meet another brother.

Omake

"Kenny, Jake's being a weirdo again," Dean told the gang member.

"I'm not being a weirdo!" Jake denied.

Kenny sighed. "What did he do?"

"He decided to make the new transfer student be his sister," 

"Jake..." Kenny pinched the bridge of his nose. "You can't go around randomly adopting people like that,"

"I can and I will," Jake declared. "No one can stop me!"