Chapter 26

The timeline's gonna be a bit different in the Dawnverse than in canon.

"Dad," Dawn requested. "Please teach me how to fight,"

"Why?" Orion asked. "What is your reason to wanting to learn? My answer depends on your response,"

'I want to crush all of my enemies and my friends' and family's enemies,' Dawn thought. 'I want it to be so that no one dares to mess with those I care about. I...' "I want to be useful,"

Orion was a bit caught off guard by that response. "What do you mean?"

"When Oswald and his gang attacked Stephen, I did nothing but run away. Even when you and Xander rescued Kenny, I did nothing. I was useless,"

"You're not useless, Dawn," Orion told her. "If you hadn't run away, you would've gotten beat up too. When we rescued your friend, there were many gang members. You could've gotten hurt," 'I would've made sure you were safe. I wouldn't let them lay a single finger on you,' "You're not useless. You don't need to learn how to fight to be useful,"

"Can you teach me how to protect my precious people?"

"We'll start off with a training regimen," Orion told her. "But remember that I'm only starting to teach you so it'll be a long while until you catch up to Donald or anyone else with experience in fighting,"

XXX

Donald and Kingsley were surprised when they arrived at Yeouinaru Office Building the next morning to find Jake Ji waiting for them. 'So he's changed his mind,' Donald noted. "Let's talk inside my office,"

Once they were in Donald's office, Jake explained his reason for his visit. "Manwol attacked my brother,"

"So, you're saying you'll join the Union if I crush Manwol for you?" Donald leaned against the knuckles of his left hand. "Damn, that's one hell of a deal you're making. But honestly I gotta say, this is all so unexpected. I didn't think you'd show up here after turning down my offer before," 'I can understand his rage. It's the same way I felt whenever Dawn, Gray, or Stephen got hurt,'

"Fine, let me respond to your deal with a bargain of my own," Donald offered. "Well, it's nothing big. I just want to get the order straight. I want you to join the Union first. Taking down Manwol will come after that. We don't want to get involved without a valid reason, and it will benefit you too. Think about it. Manwol is bound to find out that you were the one who planned this whole thing,"

"And if you're not part of an organization at that point, you'll have to deal with the backfire on your own. Whereas, it'll be a different story if you were already part of the Union when Manwol messed with Kenny. This alone not only gives us a very valid reason to hit Manwol, but also discourages Manwol from retaliating against the Union. All you need to do is join us. We'll make it official when everything is sorted out. That's all I've got to say,"

"Fine," Jake agreed. "When are we going to destroy Manwol?"

"We can't destroy them right away," Donald told him. "First, we need everyone to know that you're part of the Union. Then we'll need to locate Manwol's headquarters and gather everyone to attack. I'll inform you once a date has been decided,"

XXX

Dawn was going for a run as part of her exercise regimen. Along the route she was taking, she encountered Wolf who joined her. Once they were done with running, they took a short break at a park before doing other workouts such as pushups and pullups. 

'She's not used to working out,' Wolf noted. 'She has poor form and is doing pretty badly,' Being the good big brother he was, Wolf told her how to correct her posture. "Why are you suddenly interested in working out?"

Dawn took out her phone and opened the notes app. "I don't want to be weak. I want to be strong to be able to protect my family and friends,"

"Don't overexert yourself," Wolf warned. 

"My family said the same thing," She began to scroll through the app store for a game to play while resting. "Know any good games?"

"Summoners War," Wolf suggested.

Wolf taught her the basics of how to play and they played together for a bit before Wolf decided to head to a bar for some drinks while Dawn chose to go to an arcade. There, she played against someone in a game of Takken and won.

"Ah! I lost again!" Her opponent exclaimed from the arcade console next to her. "Hey, let's go one more time!"

Dawn nodded and inserted another coin into the machine. She still managed to win in the end.

"You're really good at this," The redhead commented.

"I play with my family and friends a lot," Not only had she practiced with Gray and Stephen, but sometimes Donald and Kingsley would play with her. She could never beat Gray in Takken since he had memorized the handbook, but Donald put up the most fight in Gray and their matches tended to be the longest and most interesting. Sometimes Donald won and sometimes Gray won.

"I always come here with my friend," He seemed a bit sad when he said that but kept his happy demeanor up. 

"Are you okay?" 

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" He asked. "You up for one more round? This time I'll win for sure!"

'It's not my place to ask,' Dawn agreed to play again. 'If he doesn't want to talk about it, I shouldn't push it. Besides, we're just strangers playing a game,'

Dawn won again. 

The redhead pouted. "I'm Ben Park by the way,"

She scribbled down her own name. "Dawn Na," She looked at her watch and decided to head to the pet store to buy more treats for Xander and then head home. She waved at Ben goodbye before leaving.

Ben continued to play but heard a buzzing sound coming from beside him. He looked over to the seat Dawn had previously occupied and saw that she had left her phone. Being the good guy he was, Ben grabbed Dawn's phone and left to look for her.

He caught sight of her entering the pet supply store and ran inside too. "Dawn!" Ben called. "You left your phone at the arcade,"

Dawn reached for his pocket and realized that it was indeed emptier than usual. "Thanks Ben," Dawn accepted her phone back from him.

"Hey, do you have a dog?" Ben noticed that Dawn had been looking at the variety of dog treats.

Dawn nodded. "I have a black pitbull named Alexander the Great,"

Ben resisted the urge to laugh. "Hey, can I meet your dog?"

'What's funny?' Dawn shrugged. "Sure,"

"Can I bring a friend to meet him?"

"Okay?"

'I don't care how moody GoGo is, I'm gonna drag him over to meet Dawn's dog!' Ben thought.

Dawn's gonna meet Alex in the next chapter.