Chapter 6

After about two weeks, both Donald and Dawn had grown comfortable in their new home. They had also begun to refer to Orion as "Dad" which made the baker cry tears of joy. He hugged them both tightly and Donald acted like he was annoyed by the physical affection, but secretly he enjoyed it.

During dinner, that peace was ruined when a trio of robbers broke in. Dawn, having been the closest to the door and also being the weakest, had been taken hostage. Donald tried to fend them off and free his sister, but a powerful kick sent him flying across the room.

'Dawn!' Donald forced himself to get up. 'I have to save my sister!'

"Throw all your valuables and money in here," A burlap sack was tossed over to Orion. "Don't even think of hiding anything or else Little Miss Princess over here gets her throat slit,"

Orion glanced at Dawn's terrified expression and complied. As he went room to room, Donald could only glare at the leader who held a knife to Dawn's throat. He knew he couldn't do anything. If he tried to attack again, he'd easily be knocked away. If he pissed off the robbers, they would kill Dawn.

'I'm useless! I'm so weak!' Donald thought angrily. 'I can't protect my family!'

Orion came out with the burlap sac filled partially. He didn't own much that was worth a lot of money. He wasn't the type to care much about jewelry and all that. 

"Maybe we should've gone somewhere else," The leader frowned. "This place ain't got that much. I bet even the register down stairs barely has any cash,"

"Let my daughter go," Orion said. "I gave you what you want so let her go,"

"Nah, I think we'll take her with us," The leader refused. "It'll be an assurance in case the cops catch up to us,"

It all happened in the blink of an eye. Orion had knocked the knife out of the leader's hand with a backslap. He then immediately grabbed Dawn and held her protectively to his chest as he spun and delivered a kick to the leader's face.

"Boss!" The other two charged at Orion.

Orion placed Dawn on the floor and she ran over to Donald who hugged her tightly. The baker easily dodged all of the robbers' knife swings and disarmed them before knocking them out. He then walked over to the unconscious leader and began to stomp on his hands.

"How dare you lay a hand on my children!"

Bones crunched beneath Orion's feet. If the robber had been awake, he'd be screaming in pain and agony.

Finally, Orion stopped and knelt down by his kids' sides. "Dawn, are you alright?" Dawn managed a weak nod through her sobs. "What about you, Donald?"

"I'm fine," But Donald was angry at both the robbers and at himself. 'If it wasn't for Dad, we'd be dead!' "Why'd you wait before attacking them!? If you were strong enough, why didn't you immediately defeat them when they first entered!?"

"Because they had taken Dawn hostage," Orion explained as he searched for his cell phone to call the police. "I wanted to avoid provoking them. But after they said they were going to take her with them, I had to act. I didn't know if they'd actual set her free eventually or if they'd kill her or worse..." He didn't want his kids to know about the horrors of human trafficking.

XXX

A few hours after the police had came, taken a statement from Orion, and dragged the three fuckers away, Dawn had calmed down enough to fall asleep and Orion tucker her into bed. Donald, however, didn't want to sleep that night.

"Dad," Donald requested. "Teach me how to fight,"

Orion knew how protective his son was of their family and had expected this. "Not yet,"

"Huh?" Donald had expected to be rejected, but Orion had said "Not yet," meaning that he'd eventually teach him. "Why not now?"

"You and Dawn literally just recovered from malnutrition," Orion pointed out. 

"I'm strong enough to handle training!" Donald claimed. "I...I don't want to just stand by and be unable to protect Dawn again. This is my family too. I have to protect it,"

Orion sighed. "One month," He held up a finger. "Wait one month. I don't want you to overdo it. And Donald...it's not your job to protect our family. It's my job. You're just a child. You shouldn't have to bear the burden of such a responsibility,"

"What about when you're not around?" Donald pointed out. "What about when Dawn and I go to school? What about when we're outside and hanging with friends? It's better to have the ability to protect and not have to use it than to not have the ability to protect in a situation where it's needed,"

"Alright, you've convinced me," Orion agreed. "But you still have to wait one month,"

"I'll agree to that," Donald yawned and rubbed his eyes.

"Come on sleepyhead," Orion picked his son up. "It's time for bed,"

Donald would usually fight against being picked up, but he was too tired mentally, emotionally, and physically, so he let Orion carry him to bed and tuck him in. "Can you stay for a little bit? At least until I fall asleep? I don't like letting my guard down,"

Orion handed the white lion plushy to his son to cuddle. "Why don't I bring my sleeping bag and sleep here for the night?"

"Okay..."

Orion left but quickly returned with his sleeping bag. He kissed the foreheads of both his children before rolling out his sleeping bag and climbing in. 

Their family was safe. That's what mattered the most.

So Orion's gonna teach both Donald and Dawn how to fight.