Chapter 1

Lightning flashed across the dark, cloud-filled, night sky. Rain poured heavily and soaked the two children running in the rain. Blood, sweat, and tears mixed together and stung at their open wounds. Both of them were exhausted, but neither could afford to rest.

They had to continue running. If they stopped now, their abusers would catch up. They'd be locked up and hurt again and there's no telling when another opportunity to escape would arise.

The younger of the two siblings, a five year old girl with black hair and crimson eyes, slipped on the wet asphalt and fell to the ground. "Ow..."

"Dawn!" Her older brother, an seven year old boy with platinum blonde hair, much paler skin, and blood red eyes, knelt down beside his sister. "Dawn, you need to get up!"

"I'm tired, Donald," Dawn cried. "Everything hurts!"

Donald looked up in the direction they had ran from to gage how far their pursuers were. "Dawn, climb onto my back. I'll carry you,"

"But Donald," Dawn refused. "You're hurt and tired too,"

"I'm fine," Donald put on a fake smile. "I'm bigger and stronger than you, okay? It'll be as if I'm carrying nothing at all,"

Dawn hesitated but got onto her brother's back. Donald continued running, doing his best to hide his pained winces from his sister.

After what felt like an eternity, they found shelter under a closed store's awning. 'We should be far enough for them to have stopped looking for us,' Donald thought as they rested. 'We've finally escaped that hellhole, but I need to figure out what we're going to do from here on out,'

Dawn shivered and Donald pulled her closer, hoping that his body heat would warm her up even just a little bit more. 'Tomorrow morning, I'll go looking for dry clothes. If we stay in these wet rags, we'll just get sick. I'll steal clothes when someone hangs their laundry on the line and no one is looking. Then it'd be best to continue to a different area. For food...I don't think I'll be able to steal from a convenience store, but I might be able to steal from a street food vendor. As for water...we'd have to rely on public drinking fountains for now,'

'Dawn is my main priority,' Donald brushed a couple strands of dark locks from his sister's face. 'I need to get our wounds checked out. I don't want any of them to get infected. The streets are dangerous even if we're not sick. We need to be always on alert. We need to learn how to defend ourselves,'

'I'll protect you, Dawn,' Donald hugged his sleeping sister. 'I promise...I'll protect you even if it costs me my life,'

XXX

When Dawn woke up the next morning, her brother was nowhere to be found. She began to panic and frantically looked around. 'D-Did Donald abandon me? I-Is it because I'm weak? Because I'm only a burden?'

"Dawn?" 

She turned around and ran into her brother's arms. "I-I thought you abandoned-d m-me!"

"I was hoping to make it back before you woke up," Donald said. "Sorry sis. I didn't mean to make you worry. But remember this: I will never abandon you,"

"W-Where were you?" Dawn wiped her tears away. 

"Snagging us some dry clothes," He held up the bundle of clothes in his arms. "There's a gas station nearby. We can change in the bathroom and dry up over there,"

"Where'd you get the clothes from?" 

"I stole them," There was no use sugarcoating it.

"But Donald, stealing's wr—"

"Wrong?" Donald interrupted her. "Dawn, the people who were supposed to be our parents, the ones who were supposed to raise us and love us, chose to hurt us instead. That's wrong. All you and I are doing is surviving. There's nothing wrong with us wanting to live. Besides, they had plenty of clothes while we only have the rags we're wearing,"

'Donald's right,' Dawn thought. 'We're just trying to survive,' "Okay,"

XXX

At the gas station, Donald helped Dawn clean her wounds using a wet paper towel and some water. It was better than nothing and they were able to get all the dirt and mud off of themselves. Once his sister was cleaned and dressed to the best of their current conditions, Donald worked on his own wounds. 

Their hairs were still a bit wet, but they tried their best to dry it with paper towels. The clothes Donald had stolen were obviously large, but it was better for the clothes to be too big than too small.

Dawn's stomach let out a loud growl.

"Let's go get something to eat," Donald suggested.

"But we don't have money..." Dawn reminded.

"Don't worry about that," Donald gently ruffled his sister's hair. "I'll get the food. Afterward, we'll continue moving, okay?"

"Okay,"

XXX

Donald had stolen taiyaki and gave it all to his sister. Dawn took a big bite and found it very different from the trash they ate at their former home. She was about to take another bite when she realized Donald wasn't eating. 

"Eat it all," Donald told her when he noticed her not taking a second bite. "You need to eat to grow up big and strong like me,"

"What about you?" Dawn tried to pass the rest of the taiyaki to him.

"I already ate," Donald lied. "That's the second one I stole,"

"Liar," Dawn shoved the taiyaki into his hands. "Donald, you need to eat too!"

"I'm fine, Dawn," Donald claimed. "Just worry about yourself,"

"Then why don you just worry about yourself too?" Dawn argued. "Don't worry about me and only worry about yourself,"

"No, I will worry about you and I will take care of you," Donald's tone became a bit firmer. "Dawn, you're my little sister. It's my job as your older brother to care for you,"

"I'll throw it away!" Dawn threatened. "I'll throw it away and then we'll both go hungry!"

'Dawn...why can't you be selfish? Why can't you just eat the whole thing?' Donald sighed and tore the remaining taiyaki in half. "We'll eat together, okay?"

"Okay,"

This story will show more of the Na Sibling's childhood, unlike my other Na Sibling fanfics.

Dawn is a year younger than Stephen and Gray, but will eventually skip a grade to catch up to her friends. Gray will also meet Donald prior to high school, unlike my other story, Dara Na.