Chapter 7

Donald was extremely nervous. Today was his and Dawn's first day of school. Since Donald was seven, he'd be attending first grade. Dawn was five so she'd be attending preschool. That meant that the two of them would be separated.

Donald did not like that.

"Can't we just be homeschooled?" Donald suggested. 

"Donald, I know you haven't really been separated from Dawn since I adopted you guys, but you can't stay by her side 24/7 for the rest of your lives," Orion gently told him. "She'll also gain her own friends and live her own life. Of course you two will always be siblings, but let her learn how to be independent too,"

"Donald, we've been apart before, remember?" Dawn brought up. "When you went to grab supplies for us, you left me alone. It'll be like that,"

"I used to attend school in the past," Donald recalled. "But that meant leaving you home alone with them. I had you hide whenever I left, but eventually you were found and beaten. After that...I refused to go to school. I needed to protect you,"

Orion grew angry at the mention of Donald and Dawn's previous residence. "Do you guys know the names of your sperm donor and egg donor?"

"No," Donald shook his head. "We just saw them as monsters and even if their names were mentioned from time to time, we didn't remember it,"

"Why...why are you asking us about them?" Dawn stuttered. "Are you going to send us back?"

"No!" Orion immediately denied. "I just want them brought to justice! They should pay for their crimes! They should pay for hurting you guys!" He hugged both of his children. "You guys are my kids. I'll never send you back to your abusers. I would rather die than do that,"

"Can't we just be homeschooled?" Donald repeated.

"Going to public school will help you and Dawn make new friends," Orion gently told his son. "It's not good for you two to be holed up inside all day. At least give it a try, please?"

"Fine," Donald reluctantly agreed.

XXX

'Will this school be different?' Donald wondered. 'In my previous school...I didn't tell Dad or Dawn, but I was bullied. I was always at the top of class but the other students got jealous. They attacked me and stomped all over my work. They even tossed my backpack around like some ragdoll, causing tears and wearing the material down,'

'Should I not aim to be the top of class?' Donald contemplated. 'I could stay in the middle rankings. I won't get too much attention since I'm not the top of class and I won't be bullied for being dumb since I'm not last place. But...' He glanced over to his father and sister. 'I need good grades to get into a good middle school and then a good high school and then a good university. I want to make a lot of money to support my dad and Dawn,'

'I don't want my family to ever have to worry about not having enough money,' Donald decided. 'I'll make money any way necessary. I'll make money any way possible. But I also need strength. I need the strength to protect my family. I need the strength to defeat anyone that goes against me,'

XXX

"Class, please give a warm welcome to your new classmate," The teacher, Mr. Joseph Kurr, announced. "Donald, would you like to introduce yourself?"

"My name's Donald Na," The boy said. "I live with my dad and my little sister," 'If any of you hurt either of them, I'll make you regret it,' "That's all,"

"Why don't you take a seat next to Kingsley?" Mr. Kurr suggested. "Kingsley, please raise your hand,"

A boy with maroonish-red hair and grey eyes raised his hand and Donald took the empty seat beside him. "Hi there, I'm Kingsley Kwan," The boy greeted.

"I'm Donald Na," 'I'm only speaking to him to seem polite. I don't want to be branded as the rude transfer student,'

"I hope we can get along and become great friends,"

"Sure," Donald mumbled. 'Friends? I don't need friends,'

Kingsley helped Donald whenever he needed them in class. He would show him where they were in the lessons and where the locations of the books and tools were. He also shared his notes with Donald so he could catch up easily.

Donald was not used to being showed kindness from classmates, having expected the same negative treatment he had received at his previous school. He kept his guard up but appreciated Kingsley's help. 'I'll consider keeping him around as long as he's useful. If he gets annoying, I'll just ignore him,'

XXX

When the bell rang for recess, Donald was the first one to sprint out of the classroom. He needed to see that his sister was safe with his own two eyes.

"Donald!" Dawn was at the other end of the hallway with Stephen. 

"Dawn, are you alright?" Donald asked with concern.

"I'm fine!" She beamed. "Stephen said it's recess time so let's go outside and play!"

'She's genuinely happy, so she didn't have any problems in class,' Donald noted as Dawn tugged him in the direction of the field. 

"She told me that she got along with her classmates," Stephen informed Donald. 

"That's good,"

"What about you?" Stephen inquired. "Are any of your classmates bullying you? If they are, tell me and I'll tell the teacher,"

"I'm not being bullied," Donald told him. "Class was fine,"

"I have a soccer ball so let's play some soccer," Stephen suggested. 

"There's only three of us though," Dawn pointed out. "The teams would be uneven,"

Donald caught sight of Kingsley who was all alone and reading under a tree. He walked over to him and Dawn and Stephen followed. "Kingsley," Donald asked. "Do you want to play soccer with us?"

Kingsley was caught off guard, not having expected the offer. He silently nodded and the four played until recess was over and it was time to head back to class.

'That was fun,' Donald glanced at Kingsley. 'Maybe...he and I can be friends,'

And that's how Donald and Kingsley became best friends.