xlv.

chapter forty-five.

Matthias didn't personally want to see Elena, but when Elijah told him that it was best if he did it rather than himself, Matthias complied. It was still dark out as Matthias made his way to the hospital, Elena having texted him the whole night about what was happening despite them being on a break.

Matthias felt his blood boil at the sight of Rebekah about to bite Elena. He rushed at his sister and ripped her away from Elena and held her by the throat against Elena's car.

"Matthias." Rebekah sighed in annoyance.

"I told you that I would dagger you." Matthias pulled out a dagger and Rebekah felt her heart sink.

"You wouldn't dare." She told him.

Matthias raised an eyebrow at her. "You wanna test me?" He asked her with a glare. "Come at her again, I'll make sure you don't wake until 2055." He promised.

Rebekah glared at him as she pushed his hands away. "She's going to ruin you and I hope you suffer." She spat at him before leaving.

Matthias looked at Elena and sighed, "I think it's time we talked."

Elena let out a sigh of relief at the sight of Matthias. She motioned towards her car and Matthias got into the passenger side while Elena climbed back into the driver's seat. The car was in silence as Elena drove to her house, Matthias would have offered his apartment, but he didn't really know what to do about their situation still.

"So, Rebekah's awake." Elena noted as they reached her house.

They didn't go inside when Elena parked the car, instead they simply sat on the porch together. Matthias didn't want to go inside anyways, so this was the better choice.

"My entire family is awake." Matthias told her softly and Elena could see that he was happy.

"You must be happy." Elena said and Matthias hummed. "Matthias, I'm sorry." She apologized.

Matthias shut his eyes and shook his head, "Sorry for letting him kiss you or sorry that I found out?" He asked her.

Elena sighed, "That I let him kiss me."

"Do you regret it?" He dared to ask, and Elena bit her tongue. "It's okay if you don't." He told her with a sigh. "I was gone for three months, you were here with him so it's only natural that you feel something for the one who was there for you."

"You're not mad?" She asked him confused.

Matthias chuckled, "I'm livid Elena." He told her honestly. "Another man kissed my girlfriend, and I'm not allowed to hurt him because she cares about him." Elena's eyes widened. "I wanted to maim him the entire time Elijah forced me to have dinner with him and Stefan. I even binged on blood until I was tipsy because of it, so I'm pissed Elena." He finally met her gaze, and he could see the regret in her eyes.

Maybe not for the kiss, but because she was still hurting him.

"I don't want to hurt you Matthias." Elena told him honestly while hugging herself.

"But Stefan and Damon are a part of your life." He nodded before sighing. "I don't want to talk about this right now." He told her. "I wanted to explain what went down tonight."

"Okay." Elena nodded.

"The coffin, that you all were trying to open held my mother." He told her and Elena's eyes widened. "She claims that she wants to be a family again."

"Do you believe her?" Elena asked him.

Matthias scoffed and shook his head, "I personally think she's going to kill me."

"You?" Elena frowned, "Why would she do that?"

"Because I killed her." Matthias told her casually.

"Wait, what?" Elena asked shocked. "I thought Klaus-"

Matthias cut her off, "You assumed that it was Klaus, but you all forget that there are two of us. The hybrid killed the original witch and you all assumed that it was Klaus, when it was me."

"Oh." Elena bit her lip as she realized how upset he probably was about people accusing his brother. "So, what now?"

Matthias sighed and looked up at the night sky. "My mother wants us to believe that she wants to be a family again. She wants to live in peace with all of us, including Klaus and I."

Elena nodded and wondered if she and Matthias would ever be okay again as he stood to his feet. She didn't stop him as he bid her goodnight and disappeared into the night, instead she climbed to her feet and went inside as well.

Matthias arrived at home and didn't spare a glance towards Rebekah who was in the living complaining to Elijah about how he had saved Elena. He climbed up the stairs and entered his room, not even surprised to see that the body was gone and Kol was in his room instead.

"Kol." Matthias greeted as he walked over to his closet. "You know that you have a room, right?"

"Yes, but I've been daggered for over a century, and I want to catch up with my big brother." He stated and Matthias chuckled. "So, what did I miss?"

Matthias quickly changed into something comfortable before sitting beside Kol and telling him about his life. Matthias explained to Kol how he had fallen for the doppelganger Elena Gilbert, how he turned off his humanity for three months after killing her and traveling around with Katherine, and everything he deemed important.

Kol listened to ever word, giving his input and even applauding his brother for his sharp tongue. Then Kol remembered the question that he had, "You said that you were a tribrid, what does that mean?"

Matthias' smile grew and Kol was happy for his brother, despite the slight jealously that he felt. "I have my magic."

Kol watched as Matthias made several items in the room levitate and smiled. "How?" He asked shocked.

Matthias shrugged as he set down the items, "I do not know." He told him honestly. "I haven't used it much, but I have a feeling that I will soon."

Kol shook his head, "You worry too much, brother."

"How can I not?" Matthias chuckled, "I will always worry for you all."

"I know." Kol smiled. "Now, tell me more about this time."

Matthias laughed and did as Kol asked before Klaus walked into the room. "Room for one more?"

"Always." Matthias responded and Klaus closed the door behind him.

Kol was still pissed at Klaus, but for Matthias he would behave for now. Klaus and Matthias took turns explaining this century to Kol and it felt like old times, it reminded Matthias of when they were human, and they would share with Kol and Henrik stories from when sometimes Mikael took them away from the village. Of course, they left out the abusive things in the stories, but Kol and Henrik enjoyed them greatly.

Nostalgia ran through Matthias and oh how he wished for simpler times once again.

[1] Consequences • The Vampire Diaries ✓On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara