xviii.

chapter eighteen.

Matthias returned to the Salvatore Boarding house, he found Damon and Stefan outside.

"Do you think he killed her?" Damon questioned Stefan.

"Katherine?" He asked. "Probably."

"No, he didn't." Matthias spoke up, letting them know that he was back. "Klaus knows that if Katherine dies by his hand or his followers, then he loses me and that's his biggest fear."

"Didn't he already if you're working with Elijah to kill him?" Stefan wondered.

Matthias shrugged, "He's my twin brother, a part of me will always try to find his redemption but this time, this time, I don't know if there is anything that could redeem him."

Before either male could respond to his statement, the door opened and out walked out the lawyer who was helping finalize the deed change.

"Thank you, Mr. Henry." Elena thanked the lawyer with a handshake while seeing him out. Elena left the door open for them and the two brothers hit the barrier making Matthias laugh as Elena turned around with an apologetic look. "I'm sorry. I completely forgot." She smiled at Matthias, "Matthias, would you like to come inside my house?"

Matthias chuckled as he nodded his head, "I would love too, darling."

His accent slipped out again and Elena felt her knees go weak at the pet name from him as he entered the house. He stood behind Elena and instinctively she leaned into him as he placed his hands on her hips.

"Stefan, would you like to come inside my house?" She asked him with a smile on her face.

Stefan smiled at her, "I would love too, thank you." He entered and stood a bit away from the door for Damon to enter next.

Elena looked at him and he gave her a forced smile, "What are we, 12?" He asked her.

"One of us is." Elena retorted. "If I let you in, do you promise to obey the owner of this house?" She asked him.

Damon gave her a look, "No."

Elena gave him one back. "Seriously, Damon." She said with a serious look on her face. "My way. You promised. I call the shots. No lies, no secret agendas. Remember?"

"Yes, Elena." He made a face, "Sure."

"Then please, come in." He walked inside and Matthias shut the door behind them while following after Elena. Bonnie handed Elena her jacket, "Thanks."

Noticing this, Stefan frowned. "Wait, where are you going?"

Elena, with the help of Matthias, put on her jacket. "To school." She said.

"Huh?" Stefan replied confused.

"No, no, no." Damon spoke up. "We didn't create a safe house for you to leave it."

Stefan agreed. "Yeah, guys, Klaus is out there. We know that." He told them.

"Right. But where?" Elena asked him. "No one knows. Look, I really appreciate what you guys are doing. And I'll be able to sleep at night knowing that I'll be safe here, but I'm not going to be a prisoner." She told them before looking at Damon when Stefan looked away from her.

Damon smacked his lips and sucked in a breath, "Your way, Elena."

Elena nodded in thanks while Bonnie said, "Don't worry, I'm ready. If he shows his face, I can take him." She promised before looking at Damon, "I know how."

Something about the sentence irked Matthias, there was an underlying meaning or maybe he was simply reading too much into the topic.

"The way I see it, next to Bonnie is the safest place that I can be." She said while grabbing her bag from the witch. "Come on." Elena gave Matthias a kiss before leaving with Bonnie.