xi.

Matthias' outfit is up above!

chapter eleven.

"Why are you still here?"

The question had Stefan stiffening as he looked behind him to see Matthias glaring at him. In all honesty, Stefan couldn't bring himself to leave. Not when he smelled Elena's scent all over Matthias and his scent all over her.

He didn't know what happened between the two, or when they had clicked so well, but he hated it. Every part of him hated the fact that Elena no longer wanted him, that Elena wanted to be with Matthias, even in her last days alive.

"I don't trust that you'll keep her safe." Stefan lied while continuing to skip rocks.

"Bullshit." Matthias snapped at him, annoyed that his every move was now being watched. "You can spill the lies to Elena but I'm not one to tolerate lies."

"I love her," Stefan told him, and Matthias frowned. "but I see how she looks at you and she doesn't look at me like that anymore."

Matthias shook his head, he didn't believe that Elena felt that deeply for him. Then again, he wouldn't even know since this was all new to him. He hated that this was new to him, that he couldn't see what Stefan was seeing when it came to Elena, but instead of voicing it, he bit his tongue.

Before Matthias could say anything, Stefan's phone began to ring, and he put it on speaker phone upon answering. "What's going on?"

Damon's voice filtered in through the other side. "Well, I showered. I shaved. Had breakfast. Very relaxed."

Stefan sighed and looked at Matthias, "That makes one of us."

"I did hear one piece of good news though." Damon said and there was shuffling on the other side. "Tyler Lockwood ran away from home last night." He sung out.

"How do you know?" Matthias asked, letting it be known that he was there.

"Matty!" Damon greeted. "So great to hear from you, a text or call back would be great."

"Come on, Damon." Matthias smirked, "We both know that I hate my phone."

Damon didn't even notice how his brain seemed to click, the compulsion placed upon him working still. "Right, of course." He shook his head. "Anyways, I heard it from Sherriff Forbes, who heard it from a very distraught Carol Lockwood, thus ending our werewolf chapter, bringing us to..." He trailed off.

"Killing Elijah." Stefan finished, missing how Matthias tensed at that.

Matthias knew that Elijah couldn't really be killed without a white oak stake. He really didn't want to have to deal with a lecture though if Elijah found out that he knew.

"Exactly." Damon said.

"You know that it's not going to be like cutting a piece of cake, right?" Matthias questioned them both. "Elijah has years, centuries on both of you, how exactly do you plan on making this work?"

"Well, I've got a crafty little dagger." Damon reminded them.

"He's an Original." Stefan also reminded. "We don't know what all that encompasses."

"Oh, trust me, Stefan. I'm gonna dot all my t's. I don't want any surprises." He told his brother.

"Wow, Damon, tell me you're actually gonna be careful for once." Stefan said and Matthias shrugged.

"Yes, Stefan, I've become you. How tragic for both of us. Got to run. I've a murder to plan. Busy day." Damon finished before hanging up the phone on them.