xxxv.

chapter thirty-five.

Matthias was afraid, afraid of Katherine being right about Elena.

Klaus went into the school first, Rebekah was in the truck with Stefan, and Matthias was lingering at the doorway of the school.

He took a deep breath before appearing wherever Klaus was. "You two. I remember you." Klaus' voice filled his ears as he stood outside the gym.

"I'm sorry. Who are you?" A girl asked.

"Oh, don't worry, I wasn't in my right head last time we met." He told her before beginning to compel her. "Lift your foot up, please, Dana." Dana did as she was told while Klaus looked to the boy. "If she drops her foot, Chad, I want you to beat her to death. Understood?"

"Don't, Klaus." Elena's voice filled his ears and he almost snapped. "You don't have to hurt anybody."

"Oh, come on, love. Of course, I do." He told her. "Especially since you're the reason Matthias is in pain."

Elena's heart sped up at his name, she had been avoiding all topics of him since seeing Stefan in Chicago. "Matthias is here?"

"Of course, he is." Klaus told her before looking to the door. "Aren't you brother?"

Elena spun around and her eyes widened at the sight of Matthias. He looked at her with glistening eyes and she hated that she was cause of it. That she was reason to his pain as he looked at her.

"You're alive." He breathed as he slowly approached her, a small smile appearing as he noticed that she was wearing the necklace that he gave her.

Klaus was going to let them have their moment, he wasn't cruel enough to deny him that.

"Matthias." Elena breathed while approaching him as well, her own body moving on its own. "I wanted to tell you, to call you back all those times you called me, but I promised."

"You got my messages?" Matthias breathed with a gasp. "All of them?"

"I never deleted them." She told him honestly. "I am so sorry." Her own eyes were beginning to water. "You didn't deserve to go through what you did."

Matthias felt his switch snap back on despite it being spelled, he let out a gasp and Klaus smiled softly seeing that Matthias was back. Or well, somewhat back. Matthias wanted to touch her, to hold her, but he held back from doing so.

Suddenly Dana let out a cry and Elena remembered what was happening and where she was.

"Keep it up." Klaus warned the crying Dana.

"Where's Stefan?" Elena asked him and Matthias felt his heart twist at the question. "What did you do to him?"

"Stefan's on a time out." Klaus told her.

The doors suddenly opened, and Elena spun around to see Bonnie and Matt. "Bonnie, get out of here!" Elena yelled at her, but it was too late.

Klaus appeared behind Bonnie, "Ah, I was wondering when you'd show up. Now we can get started." He looked over to Dana. "Ah, Dana, why don't you relax? You and Chad sit tight." At this command Dana fell into Chad's arms as he helped her sit down. "I assume you're the reason Elena's still walking around alive?" Klaus asked Bonnie.

"That's right. If you want to blame someone, blame me." Bonnie told him, trying to not show that she was afraid of what he would do right now.

"Oh, there's no need for blame, love. Just your witchy interference seems to have caused some undesirable side effects. And since you caused the problem, I'm going to have you find the fix." Klaus explained to her.