xvi.

chapter sixteen.

Matthias was sitting next to Elena with Damon and Stefan in the library at the Salvatore Boarding house. He was reading a random book while they all talked with one another.

"Do you really think that Isobel's telling the truth that word's gotten out about the doppelganger?" Elena questioned, pulling Matthias' attention away from the book. "I mean, you would know, right, Matty?"

Matthias marked his page before shutting it and looking at her. "Word probably has flown around, I don't know to what extent but the only reason that Klaus is coming here is because someone was looking for Katherine and then stayed in town instead of leaving." The two brother's shot him a look and he only rolled his eyes. "I'm not wrong. Had you never returned to town or attempted to release Katherine from the tomb, Klaus would still be searching."

And it was true, Matthias knew firsthand that Klaus was struggling to find the doppelganger. It was all thanks to the Salvatore's setting roots that helped him find her faster.

"Look, I don't trust a word that she says, but I think we'd be stupid to ignore the warning." Stefan told her and Elena nodded in agreement.

"You know, you should just stay here." Damon told her. "It's better for us to keep an eye on you."

"What, in the house that any vampire can enter?" Matthias questioned in disbelief.

"He's right." Stefan agreed. "Her house is safer."

"Well, then we'll stay there." Damon countered and Stefan shrugged as if to say fine.

"So, is that the plan?" Elena asked them. "Neither of you will let me out of your sight again?"

"Let me know when you come up with a better one." Damon told her.

"What about me?" Matthias spoke up and Elena felt her heart leap at the thought. "My apartment is in the same building as Alaric's and its under someone else's name so I'm the only one allowed inside." He told them. "She could easily stay with me, since you know, we're together and whatnot."

Elena felt at a loss for words, they hadn't talked about their title on their relationship and while this feeling was bittersweet, Elena couldn't help but smile softly.

"See issue resolved." Matthias smiled and Elena didn't miss the jealously that appeared in his eyes for a moment.

"You see, I'm not comfortable with that." Stefan spoke up and Damon bit his tongue, he knew better than to get involved with this love triangle. "You're Klaus' twin brother, how do we know that you're not playing us?"

Matthias wanted to applaud Stefan, he was a lot smarter than he looked, not that he was going to admit that. "Seeing as I daggered Elijah for you, which by the way he's going to have my head for, that proves my trust enough."

"Enough." Elena said, "Matthias is going to come with me to the Lockwood Luncheon, what will you two be doing?"

"I'm going as well." Stefan admitted to her.

"Not me." Damon declined. "I have witch stuff to attend to with Bonnie."

"Does that mean that you're taking her to the-" Elena spoke, but Damon placed a finger on his lips and shushed her.

He knew where the witches were killed. Matthias tried not to be hurt by the fact that he was being kept in the dark, but it bothered him a lot more than he would've liked it to.

The clicking of heels could be heard as Katherine joined them. "Don't get quiet on my account." She said while entering. "If you have a plan to combat the impending vampire doom, please do tell." No one answered her. "Seriously, what is the plan to get us out of this mess, hmm? I delivered you a moonstone, a werewolf, and the dagger to lure and kill Klaus, a werewolf, and right now all you have is a moonstone. Or so you tell me."