Vacant Surrender

"Move It!" Their leader shouted "Make Sure they don't get to the train!"

The enemy poured into the cave system, like worker ants storming back into their nest, to protect their nest itself. 

"Come with me or don't, your choice." Were the only words that he had heard. 

"What?" Carolyn looked at him and he vanished "Where did-"

Her thoughts were interrupted by thunderous booms immediately followed by bright lights in the cave, the screams of the militants echoed through the caves, it's voice 

"Damnit!" She cursed, and ran into the cave system, the light bulbs and wires attached to the cave walls guided her pulling out her scroll and dialing Cinder while still running as fast as she can,

"Leave a message after the beep." Was her only response, "He's gonna find out, Is there a plan B? Respond as soon as you can, please." Tucking the scroll away before rounding a corner, to see absolute horror.

The corpses of the white fang militants littered the path and blood flowed from the fresh corpses, it was smeared all over the rock walls, a body had it's face smashed into the wall , blood from bodies were flowing, at the end of the tunnel was light, originating from floodlights that were set up by their teams to illuminate the repair efforts. 

"the train tracks." She said to herself

She walked to the tunnel entrance in front of her, the sudden change in lighting made her cover her eyes, once her eyes have fully adjusted she saw another tunnel entrance across from her, and the bright flashes of yellow light, he was on the other side, wreaking havoc on the white fang.

"Squad J, respond! Squad J!" A slightly robotic voice called out, "James! Answer me!" It screamed 

The voice originated from a broken, bleeding body that was lying face down , she approached it and knelt down, she turned the body over, the face was quite handsome, but was lifeless, the eyes never moved, staring into the abyss, his mouth left agape as if screaming, full of a dark red liquid.

Her attention was directed to his body three entry points, two to the chest one to the abdomen, the small box on the corpse's  spoke up again "RESPOND NOW!"

She slowly removed the radio off of the corpse, cleaned the blood off of the microphone and pressed a button on the right hand-side and responded 

"This is surge, I need a status report."

"Surge? One of the humans? How the- You apes set us up!"  The voice on the other side shouted

"I assure you, Militant, we are not behind any of this, Our interests do not-"

"Interests?! My friends are-"

"More will die if you don't tell me where he is."

The person on the other side, clicked his tongue before huffing almost to say fucking humans

"He's heading for the generator room, and the train-" 

"The train and the dust can be recovered, the intruder can cause damage beyond repair."

"Tunnel five, teams are already dispatched to try to slow him down."

She looked to the corpse's pouches and opened each one of them, looking for a map, her hand wandered to the many pockets on the inside of the vest pulling out a folded map of the tunnel system, as she unfolded it, a single photo dropped out, it was of a woman and a man, she took the photo and inspected it, it was of this man and his lover? wife? it had been neatly preserved and considering it was in his pocket in his chest it was clearly very dear to the man, was this man perhaps a father or a brother or a friend?