Chapter 57 - Still Loving

Matildas to play the Netherlands in FIFA Women's World Cup Final
The Matildas shocked the world when they beat reigning champions, the United States, in a thrilling 2-1 victory in Melbourne over the weekend. The Matildas, through goals from Tameka Yallop and superstar, Sam Kerr, have had an incredible run this World Cup, conceding only one goal. The team, who finished fourth at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, had something to prove, playing with dynamite each time they stepped onto the field.
Captain, Sam Kerr, has been the leading goal scorer all tournament, scoring 13 goals, ahead of Dutch star, Vivianne Miedema by 2.
The Matildas vice captain, India Harrison, has had a stellar tournament also, leading Australia's backline, and putting up a nearly indestructible defence. Coach, Tony Gustavsson, stated that "India and Sam have been the constants throughout this tournament - with India's defence being unsurpassable and Sam scoring an incredible number of goals. That's why they are the captains."
The Matildas are set to play 2019 runners up, the Netherlands, after they beat England in their semi final in Auckland. The Netherlands were dominant throughout the game, with Dutch star, Vivianne Miedema, scoring a brace, securing the 2-0 win at Eden park.
The two teams are set to face each other this weekend at Stadium Australia in front of a full crowd of over 80,0000 fans.
"We have hope," Captain Sam Kerr stated after the US win, "but we mostly have determination and will. We know we will be holding that cup soon. The question is whether that will be on the weekend or further in the future."
"I'm proud of the girls, no matter the result," Vice captain, India Harrison, stated after the semi finals, "we are going to go out there and play for Australia, our families and each other. These girls are my home and life, and there would be no other people I'd want to share this journey with."

We arrived in Sydney the next day to prepare for the final against the Netherlands. I was nervous, we were all nervous. It was going to be tough, we knew it was. But I had a good feeling. And from my past experiences, my feelings are never wrong.

I saw Mum and Luke that morning, going over to my house to meet them before not seeing them until after the final.
I got to my house, and went into my room, sitting on the bed. Luke came in, and sat beside me, knowing that I was thinking deeply.
"What are you thinking about?" He asked, curiously.
I laughed slightly.
"I used to sit here, at this exact spot, before my games when I was a kid. I'd look into the mirror and say "you will play amazing tomorrow." And now, here I am, playing in a World Cup final, and doing the same thing. Giving myself the same pep talk. It really all does come full circle."
"I have so much belief in you, Inds, truly." I looked at him, and caressed his cheek slightly, chuckling.
"You're so much like him, you know? You're now my saving grace. You're my person." He gave me a hug, and we sat there, together, embracing each other. We both missed Dad, but Luke is so similar to him that I feel him, whenever I am with him. I feel Dad, around Luke.

As I went back to the hotel, Jill messaged me, wanting to meet.

Jill: can I see you? Before tomorrow?

Indi: yeah sure. can I take you to the gardens? they are beautiful

Jill: sounds like a plan

So, the day before the final, I went to her hotel and met up with her. She was wearing her orange track suit, while I was sporting the green and gold. It felt almost natural now to be in two seperate teams, which made me feel funny. I hated it before, but it's okay now. Is that a sign of growing up? Of maturity?

"Hi," I said to her, as she exited her hotel lobby. I saw other Dutch girls in the reception, and gave them a wave as they were looking at me. It must be confusing, for a lot of people, to know and try to understand me and Jill. We don't even know what we are so it would be harder for others.
"Hey," she replied. I had my bag with me. The bag with the letter. But, I didn't know whether it would leave the safety of the bag.