Chapter 52 - Champions League

The next morning was Jill's birthday and match day against Wolfsburg. I was nervous to verse her. So much was on the line and I didn't want her to lose, but I wanted to win. It was a weird combination of feelings. I sent her a quick message for her birthday, as to wish her a good day.

Indi: Happy birthday Jilly! 26 is a big number, so be nice to it ;) see you soon

I felt excited for the game, and as we started arriving at the ground, I saw the Wolfsburg team and Jill arriving too.

As Kristie and I disembarked from the bus, I smiled over at Jill who caught my eye. She smiled slightly back. I felt a ding in my pocket, from my phone.

Jill: don't distract me!

Indi: Haha! I'm not doing anything!

As we went into the locker room, Kristie was FaceTiming Sam.

"Hey Sammi," I said to her, as I was tying my shoes.
"Hey Inds, you ready to win?"
"I hope so," I replied.
"We are going to! Think positive!" Kristie retorted to me, nudging me slightly.
"Imagine a red vs blue final!" I said, referencing a Chelsea verse Arsenal Champions League final.
"Well," Sam started to say, "it's a possibility at this point." I could feel Kristie freeze up slightly as Sam said this. Kristie was nervous to verse Sam again in an important match. After the Olympics, where the U.S. took the bronze against Australia, she always felt upset for Sam. Sam wasn't ever annoyed Kristie had won it, although she was upset that Australia didn't. We both were.
"Anyways, we are about to go line up," Kristie said, talking to Sam.
"Good luck babe!" Sam said.
"I love you."
"Love you."

Kristie put her phone down, and I felt some jealously brewing in my heart. Her and Sam were perfect. They were everything I wanted. They had no problems, and were always okay. Obviously they argued, but they were open and honest. Why can't I be like that? Why can't I bring myself to tell Jill? Why is my heart just so broken not even the one I love can fix it? Why did it have to happen?

The starting eleven was as expected. Manu, Lia, Leah and I played defence, Katie, Kristie and Kim played as midfielders, and Viv, Beth and Jordan were the forwards. I felt this combination to be a winning team.

The two teams (us and Wolfsburg) lined up in straight lines before walking out. I was across from Jill who gave me a smile before the teams both walked out. She leant over, which she wasn't supposed to.
"Good luck," she whispered in my ear.
"Good luck," I replied to her, chuckling slightly.

I knew it was weird for her - playing against her old team and her friends and me. But, it's our job. I could also sense her comfort within her new team, and she seemed so happy and lively, completely different to how she was before she left Arsenal. She belonged. She found a home.

As the game commenced, both teams were playing full field press, trying to have as much possession of the ball as possible. Wolfsburg had multiple shots at goal, and so did we, but it ended up being 0-0 at half time, with neither team able to break the defence.

In the 42nd minute, Jill had a fast break, and I had to back track on her. I was one on one with Jill, something I never thought I'd have to do. She got to the top of the 18 yard box, before hitting the ball towards goal. But I blocked it with my knee cap, and it bounced off to the sideline where Katie kicked it out. Jill could've scored, but I saved it.

As we walked into the changing room at half time, we were proud that our defence was so strong, especially from Leah, Manu and me, but our offence was unable to break past their defenders. Jonas talked to Beth, Jordan and Viv, trying to work out a way to break open the defence that was killing us.
"Good save," Jonas said to me, in reference to the Jill save.
"Thanks," I replied. I felt sort of guilty, but it is my job. I need to save the goals.