Chapter 39 - Chelsea Vs Barcelona

"So, what's the plan?" I asked Jill, as we lay in bed. I was snuggled into her side and she played with my fingers. Recently, her shaking had subdued and her nerves had passed. It all halted when she signed her new contract, which makes me believe it started because of Arsenal. Because of the team. Because of me.

"We make it work," she said to me, confidently.
"Ok. We'll make it work." Although I knew we were both apprehensive. Its hard not to be. For the past two years, we have been together, in the same team, same city, same apartment! And now, we will be separated. Not just by distance, but by other factors too.

Viv, Lisa, Beth and Daan came over the next day for a barbecue to watch the final of the Champion's League. Daan was visiting London after her season had ended also. Playing with Lyon, she won her championship and had a stellar season. The move was good for her, we all believe. She needed it. Additionally, Beth also had a stellar season, helping us win the league.

"Hey girlies," I said to Beth and Daan as they arrived to Jill and my apartment. We have a good apartment for barbecue's as we have an outdoor patio that is adjacent to the kitchen. In the last autumn and summer months, it's lovely.
"Hey," Daan said to me, embracing me in a hug. Daan and I only played one season together, but in that season, she welcomed me with open arms and was so lovey.
"Roordie!" Beth called out, as Jill was in the kitchen making the potatoes. I am a very bad cook, and so that meant in our relationship, Jill is always the one in the kitchen.
"Yes?" She called back out to Beth.
"We brought cheese!" I laughed at this and Daan and Beth came inside.

30 minutes later, Viv and Lisa finally arrived.
"You guys are always late!" I said to both of them, as Lisa came in with a bag.
"We brought cheesecake!" She said, referencing the bag.
"Ah," I started to say, welcoming them in, "the iconic Lisa and Viv cheesecakes."

We all sat on the couch, watching the football that was on the tv. Unfortunately, neither Arsenal nor Lyon made the champions league final. It was a rematch from last year - Chelsea vs Barcelona. Barcelona were the clear favourites (as they have been all year.) No one can really fault them. They have such a strong team, and although Chelsea do as well, we all expected Barcelona to come out on top.

Oh how we were wrong. During the game, Jill and I sat with popcorn in between us, completely engrossed by the game that was being played in front of us. I wanted to see if Kristie was watching, so I messaged her.

Indi: you watching the game?

Kristie: yes I am

Indi: Sam is playing like a god

Kristie: literally. she can't miss!

Sam had already scored a brace by half time, both assisted by Fran. It was currently 2-1 to Chelsea, and Barcelona were in shock.

"So," I started to say, turning to the girls, "do we reckon Chelsea will pull through?"
"I don't know," Viv said back, "Barcelona won't want to lose."

And sure enough, they levelled the scores only 5 minutes into the the second half. I felt Sam on the verge of doing something great. I felt her wanting to do something spectacular. It was the 89th minute, and everyone was expecting it to go into extra time and possibly a penalty shoot out.

However, one of the Barcelona girls fouled Erin on the left wing, 5 meters outside the box. I knew they were going to set up a set piece, and I saw where Sam was going. I knew what was going to happen. I could see it play out. Maybe that's what makes me a good defender, I can read these things before they even happen.

Erin took the kick, and passed it short to Guro, who was outside the box. She kicked it into the mess, but a run from Harder cleared the players, leaving Sam open for a header. The header bounced off Sam's head and travelled. It flew into the top left corner of the goal, only narrowly missing the Barcelona's goal keeper. They were up - 3-2. With only 5 minutes of stoppage.