Rookie Battle

World Coronation Series - Kanto - Indigo Plateau - Stadium 1

Third Person Pov

The first battle of the World Coronation Series was dawning, the skies were clear, the crowds were gathering in Stadium 1 of the Indigo Plateau. Max and Bonnie were in separate rooms to prepare for the battle, both had their siblings to accompany them before the battle. The two had never met, so neither would be able to have a plan on how to counter the other's team until they knew what Pokemon the other had. Ash was in the stands watching from afar with great interest. He was supposed to be in a private champions suite with his sister but he wanted to sit with everyone else, which greatly annoyed the security team assigned to him. Next to Ash was his old friend Brock. Brock could tell Ash was eager for the battle judging by his face but he was also able to recognise that Ash was putting on a facade. 'You are definitely eager for the battle to begin Ash, you said you knew the trainer Max is facing, are you able to tell me anything about this Bonnie' Brock said. Ash turned to Brock with a thoughtful look, 'I haven't seen her battle since she became a trainer, therefore, I can't give any hints about how she may battle. All I know is that this will be a good battle.' Ash turned away to sit and look at the battlefield, which was about to be the scene of the first battle of the World Coronation Series finals. Brock decided not to press Ash on what had happened the previous night, since Ash had always enjoyed battles, so wouldn't want to be interrupted for a talk on what had happened in the past. 

Meanwhile in the trainer rooms

Clemont was sitting next to Bonnie who had already selected her Pokemon for the battle, the day before. Clemont was attempting to keep Bonnie calm and focused before her battle. 

'Remember Bonnie, focus on what the opponents weakness is.' Clemont reminded her.

Bonnie rolled her eyes, she wasn't stupid, she had been battling for a while but this was only her second time in a competitive tournament, after the Kalos League the previous year. 'I know all the basics, Clemont. I know this is my first tournament since the Kalos League, but that doesn't mean I've lost any skill since then. I know all I need to for this battle. All I can do from this point is adapt to the strategies of my opponent and his Pokemon' Bonnie responded.

Clemont could tell that his sister was prepared to go ahead with the battle and that all she needed him for, was moral support as well as being there to keep her focused. He was proud of his sister whatever the result would be. 'Good luck Bonnie, I hope you win today, and hopefully, things go well no matter what.' Clemont said. 'Thank you, this won't be easy, I have no illusions about this.' Bonnie replied before walking out of the trainer room to head to the battlefield. 

Max was more confident ahead of the battle. May was trying to get him to stop acting like he had already figured out how to win no matter the situation in the battle, as well as trying to stop him from replicating Ash, or Norman, the gym leader of Petalburg City and the siblings' father. May of course was a guest for the tournament, she didn't have to battle, but she still wanted to keep an interest in her brother's battles, mostly for Max's sanity.

'This tournament isn't going to be easy for you Max. I mean our father is a gym leader and he always complains that the World Coronation Series is draining for every trainer, it is apparently very demanding on the Pokemon and requires you to be focused all the time.' May told Max.

Max briefly acknowledged his sister's words but then went back to planning strategy.

'Max, just remember, don't be arrogant, adapt to whatever comes your way and you'll have a better chance of winning.' May advised.