Closer

Diantha's Pov.

I was shocked at what Lance was asking me. I thought I would be able to keep my past to myself. I couldn't hide the truth from Lance, I know he's very interrogative, but I didn't expect him to try and ask me about my background. I didn't know how to answer him. Revealing the truth about myself might cause me more issues than I would be prepared for. However, if I didn't answer with the truth, he'd probably view me as selfish and a liar. He'd find out eventually anyways. 

'Are you going to give me an answer?' He asked. 'I'm not here to cause you any trouble, I just want some honesty from you.'

I had to answer, I could't keep it to myself.

'You may have found this out yourself, you may not have. However, I want to make it clear that I am not as close to Ash as you may think.' I responed.

'Wouldn't expect you to be his lover or anything, he's way too dense for that.' Lance replied with a chuckle.

'You'd be surprised at how much Ash has grown up these past few years. You'd be very interested, I'm sure of it.' I said.

'You still haven't given me a proper answer by the way.' Lance reminded me.

Shit, I had forgotten to answer. I think that's very typical for someone like me, especially when I've been involved in acting for years, I've become very apt at putting on a persona, being able to perform multiple roles. Well, I had to answer. 'My link to Ketchum. Ash is my cousin. I'm the daughter of Red's brother, Satoshi Ketchum. I think that's probably why Red decided to name Ash as he did, because of the bond he had with his own brother. So the truth is, I am a Ketchum and I'm fucking tired of pretending I'm not. It's time for me to be proud of who I am.

'Does Ash know?' Lance asked.

'I have no idea.' I confesed.

'If he doesn't know, I would like for you to tell him. Red knows though, that you exist right?' Lance stated.

'Yeah Red kept in touch with my dad before my father died. He was influential in protecting me after my dad died.' I answered.

'Why didn't you tell anyone sooner?' Lance asked, concerned. 

'I didn't want to be known for my name. The history is not always the best with our family. In addition to this, the pressure on Ash would be unfair. Living up to two champions in the family would be hard for him.' I told Lance.

'If you don't want to tell anyone else, I'll keep this to myself. It's your choice.' Lance said before walking out of my room.

I knew I should tell Ash soon, he deserved to know the truth about his family history.

It was later on in the day that I met with Red to discuss about me telling Ash, that I am related to him. Red wants me to give it more time, but the secret has to be revealed to Ash. If I don't, it will cause me many issues mentally. I knew why Red didn't want the truth to be revealed because it would add more scepticism to the Ketchum name than needed. Ash needed to find out eventually, Red knows that. He has every reason to be worried. However, we are stronger united than apart. I told Red that he must be the one to reveal the truth. To tell Ash everything.

Elsewhere in Kanto.

?'s pov

The World Coronation Series is the biggest competition there is. I had managed to squeeze my way into the top 1000 to earn the right to compete in the final tournament. Being the latest winner of the Unova League and future elite four members has its perks. Trip Niko is the name I go by to the world. Ranked 125th overall. I had unfinished business with lots of trainers in the tournament and intend to win. It helped to have support from your parents, to travel since the prices from Unova had taken a giant hike as of late. I didn't know the reason why this had occurred but it happened. My team had grown over the years, and now I have some of the most powerful Pokemon available to me. I knew the opening ceremony was soon to begin but until then I'd decided to spend the time visiting Kantonian sites around the arenas. The one trainer I wanted to beat the most was Virgil, he hadn't competed in any official Pokemon leagues in a few years but qualified for the World Coronation series nonetheless. He is one of the most irritating trainers I have ever faced and I knew in my head, I sounded like a sore loser, but how can I not be when it comes to a guy who only uses eeveelutions. Another interesting figure was Dino. He is an odd individual from the Unova region and he won the Unova League 2 years ago (prior to my victory). I wanted to battle him someday but I couldn't imagine him being anything like the strength of my main rival in the tournament, Ash Ketchum. I didn't want to fight him, because he is one of the strongest trainers in the world and now a Pokemon League Champion. Many were predicting that he would eventually replicate the success of his father, and maybe achieve even more. I'm not the strongest trainer in Unova but I knew I was capable of going far in the World Coronation Series. Any relationships made along the way were an added bonus for me. My thoughts were interrupted by a bunch of thugs seemingly trying to dig for something in the middle of the public footpath. The confusion I had at that moment is unimaginable because those thugs clearly have no clue what they were looking for. I walked away because I am suspicious of their intentions in this area. I knew I must wait for any answers.