Before I snap back at her I realize something. Her tone isn't cruel, or sharp. It's even, soft.

"I was going to leave you alone. I figured that's what you wanted."

Her attention turns directly to me, away from the fire this time. That's when I see a tear fall from each of her eyes. My heart urges me forward to her, my brain fighting it. My heart tends to be stronger than my brain. It wins out as I move to crouch down in front of her chair, my back to the fire.

"Talk to me, Opal. Please."

She watches my mouth move, but I'm not sure she's heard me. She lifts her head off to the side, sniffles and wipes at her tears. "Can't you just be here? With me?"

I want to be here with her. I want to be with her every moment I possibly can. But, her blowup from earlier, where did it come from?

"You can talk to me, Opal. The one eighty you made back there, I'd be lying if I said it didn't concern me. I don't know you well, but I know that wasn't you."

I see the debate warring across her face as she wipes harshly at the fresh tears. "Lily just said something that bothered me," she admits. "It's not like she hasn't done it before. We'll be fine."

"Most disagreements with a best friend don't end up with one walking barefoot through downtown." I'm pushing boundaries, I know that. It's the detective in me I suppose. I bring my hand to rest on her lower leg that is covered by the blanket. From the angle where I sit in front of her I can't hold her the way I'd like to, unsure if she'd even let me.

Opal groans at my words. "I don't want to let you in! I mean, I do, but I can't." There's frustration and yet desperation in her voice.

"Yes, you can, Opal." I stand now, in front of her.

"If I tell you about me, make myself vulnerable to you, and you leave," she pauses, taking a ragged breath, "you'll leave me feeling less than worthy, like everyone else."

Her admission scares me. I take her hand, pulling her up and over to the love seat. I guide her to sit next to me as I hold her and let her cry. I'm not pushing the conversation. I choose to just comfort her, help her through by doing whatever it is she needs. My hand rubs along her back, attempting to soothe her. I want her to stop crying, but yet something is telling me that I need to let her cry it out. Allow her soul to be cleansed through her tears.

An unwelcomed guest shows up. The sky has opened and it begins to pour, hard. Opal grabs the lid to the fire pit, placing it over the fire to help squelch what the rain hasn't already. I get her blanket and we both run to the back porch.

"Well, that was dumb," she says, catching her breath.

"What do you mean?"

"I should've ran for the carriage house. Now I'll get soaked all over again." There's a small bit of laughter coming through, not much but enough to have lightened her mood.

   "Guess it's a good thing you own the place and can get dry towels," I begin, "or maybe if you're lucky, an umbrella."

   That earns me a small grin. "Nice to know the blood, sweat and tears I put into it will afford me an umbrella."

   "I'll go see what I can find," I tell her as I reach for the door handle, but stop only when I feel Opal's hand grasp mine.

"Don't go. If you go inside I will talk myself out of staying, waiting for you, even though I'm not ready for this to end."

Looking over my shoulder at her I see all of the anger from earlier has left her features. I take a step towards her, gingerly, afraid she'll become skittish again. Pushing her wet hair back, off of her shoulders, I ask her a simple question. "What is this, exactly?" My brows furrowed, not out of anger or even my earlier frustration, but of genuine curiosity.