Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Days passed and everything is still the same. Kim is still having problems with her playboy cousin while Sheerness and I are busy for our monthly exams to maintain our academic standings.

Mabuti na lang alam ni Kim kapag nag-aaral kami at hindi siya nagpapasamang hanapin ang pinsan. Jake is still hard to find.

Sabi ng ilan, palagi raw ito sa computer shop kaya hindi rin mapuntahan ni Kim kasi bawal kaming lumabas ng campus habang may klase. Maybe Jake befriended the guards so he was able to pass the gates. I realized he will really do whatever he wants so it's really impossible for him to change.

He was brought here to be tamed, to change his lifestyle, to be better, but I think it's impossible. I believe that a person would change in his or her will. Kahit hindi mo sabihing magbago siya, magbabago siya dahil gusto niya.

It seems like Jake doesn't want to change so him being here will do no change to him. He will still be the same.

I sighed.

The sun kissed my skin when I went out of our house. The fresh wind enveloped me as I walk on the quiet sidewalks of our roads. Birds are singing somewhere in the trees around like having some choir performance.

It's a quiet and sunny Saturday. If I just have no group meeting to attend to, I would have been staying cozily inside my room reading a novel that would feed my heart.

I started walking towards the Montellano mansion. It's one of the largest mansions around our town. Modern design made by the architects and engineers of the family.

Sa pagkakaalam ko, ang pangunahing negosyo ng pamilya nila ay ang orchard. Their other companies were only built by Lola Angelina's other sons because they don't have a heart for agriculture. Ang ama ni Kim ang nagmana ng orchard dahil iyon ang hilig nito.

I've been to their orchard many times. Kim invites me there sometimes to just walk around or play. It's large, one day isn't enough to explore it. And it's beautiful.

The view of the neatly arranged trees and plants in rows and columns with dried leaves falling all over the ground and the rays of the sun peeking through the leaves make it picturesque, or like a painting. No wonder the municipal wants it to be a tourist spot but Lola Angelina only allowed it to be a site for photoshoot for some events.

Malapit na ako sa mansion. Natanaw ako ng isang katulong na nagwawalis sa bakuran nila kaya binuksan na agad niya ang malaking bakal na gate ng mansyon. Dahil madalas ako dito, kilala na ako ng mga tauhan nila.

"Gising na po ba si Kim?" tanong ko kahit tanghali naman na.

Tumango si Nanay Selya, ang mayordoma. "Kakagising lang. Pinapagalitan ni Laarni kasi madaling araw na natulog."

I chuckled. Nagpaalam ako na papasok na sa mansyon. The low heels of my sandals tapped the tiled floor of the porch. Nakabukas ang isa sa double doors kaya tuloy-tuloy ang pagpasok ko.

I briefly looked at the big family picture that welcomed me then laid my eyes on whoever was sitting in the sofa on my right. In the living area of the mansion, Jake was sitting and watching me as if he's been waiting for me to arrive.

"Nasabi ni Kim na susunduin mo siya. Naliligo pa." he said.

Tumango ako. Tumabi ako nang pumasok si Nanay Selya. Jake is still watching me, making my cheeks burn a little bit. Good thing it's sunny outside and I can make it as an excuse.

"Umupo ka muna, Gwen. Matagal ka pang maghihintay kung naliligo pa lang si Kim." nginitian ako ni Nanay Selya bago nagtungo sa kusina.

I heard Jake clicking his tongue while waiting for my next move. I licked my lips and stepped towards the sofa where he was sitting. It is shaped like an L and large so I'm not bothered that he's here.