Look Behind You

In the midst of rushing around trying to pack in anticipation of moving across the country, it was safe to say that time had completely flown by. October had barely even felt like a real month, and November had crept up on me like those creepy clowns paid to scare you.

Which also meant, the worst time of the year for me. I was leaving for Guernsey this afternoon, and tomorrow would be about remembering my Mum with my Nan. I went to Guernsey most years for the anniversary of her death, and this year was no different.

I already knew that it was going to be a rough week this week. A part of me - and a small one, at that, felt reluctance going back to see my Nan, because I hated leaving her at the end of it. Considering she lived alone now, too, it broke my heart leaving her there alone, flying back to a different country. I felt like I was abandoning her.

I was flying directly from Warwick, and the flight wasn't too long, but long enough for me to nap on. It was a relatively easy, and stress free journey. Plus, I was all packed already. I just didn't want to turn up too early and have to wait in the airport for ages - I'd been guilty of that one before, and as always, my boredom had gotten the best of me every time.

So I jumped into my bed, putting an alarm on for an hours time, resting my head on my pillow, darkness consuming me.

***

A siren. It sounded like someone was blaring a siren right next to my ear, and it wouldn't stop. I waved my hand out in front of me, desperately trying to find the off switch - anything to make the horrific noise stop. My hand met my phone screen, pressing multiple times on the screen until at long last I was met with silence.

I revelled in this, feeling peaceful until I opened my eyes and realised where I was. I sat up with a jump, swearing under my breath.

What time was it? Why had I slept? Had I overslept? Was I going to miss my flight?

No. I was panicking. My phone said it was quarter past three - my flight wasn't until five, and the airport really was very close. Stop panicking.

My bags were all lined up by the door, which were really only just a suitcase and a flight bag. The rest of my belongings were mostly packed up into boxes now, anyway. The move to London was just under two weeks away, and I still hadn't told anyone. Well, by anyone - everyone at my work knew, and so did my Nan. I still had to tell harry, but half of me was toying with the idea of just rocking up to his apartment one day to spring the news on him. I was undecided.

Speaking of Harry, he'd still been texting me multiple times a day, like he had promised at the airport, and we were getting along just as well as we did in person, over text, proving that our friendship was meant to be.

Harry

Just about to leave for the airport. What are you up to today?

Just boring admin stuff. Have a safe flight

Thanks, hope your stuff isn't too boring. Miss you!

Looking in the top left hand corner of my phone reminds me that I'm actually supposed to be in a rush to get out of the house and to the airport. Bags in hand, I finally leave, getting into my car, driving down the road and off to the airport.

Because I'll only be there for a few days, I'm able to park my car in the short stay carpark, convenient because it means I'm able to save money on transport to and from the airport.

It looks busy when I pull in, but then again late afternoon is a popular time for flying, especially from where I'm coming from. The plane to Guernsey is smaller than the usual plane, so I don't have to worry about it being busy there either.