Prologue

16TH JUNE 2016

"Think I might let Will take me to prom," I wondered outloud to my friends, who were in the middle of a heated conversation about prom, which was due to take place next week.

It earned a few wary glances - some of them looked like they were about to burst out with laughter. "You're not going with Harry?" My closest friend, Mel asked.

"Why the hell would I go with Harry? He might be my best friend, but he's not someone I want shoving their tongue down my throat, and that's exactly what I plan on doing at the end of prom next week," I declare, with several people making disgusted faces, causing my own eyes to roll. "Come on! It's not like half of you don't want someone at this school to kiss you at prom. I'm speaking for us all!"

"Why is it I can always hear your voice from the other end of the hall?" Harry's voice bellowed from the other end of the canteen, now attracting more people's attention.

"Maybe you just have acute hearing, but then that would mean being good at something, and I'm not sure that's quite right either, Lewis," I tease, throwing him a smug smile, welcoming him onto our table. I notice some of my friends looking at each other, but brush it off, instead interrogating Harry about prom.

"Who are you taking to prom? I think I'm going to accept Will-"

"You're going with Will? You're kidding, right?" He asked, his eyes widening at my decision.

"No! What's wrong with Will? His glasses are kinda wonky, I get that, but -"

"No way are you going with Will! Come with me instead, it'll be a laugh," he insists, wrapping his arm round my shoulder, bringing me closer towards him.

"What, me and you going to prom together? Seriously?" I ask, even the thought of it sounding ridiculous.

"As friends, obviously," he announces, looking at everyone who sat around our table. There were six of us - me, Harry, Mel, Jamie, Anna and Max. I'd known Mel the longest - we'd been in nursery together, and had stayed friends throughout school. I'd met Harry when I was eleven, his Mum met mine at work and we'd become friends through play dates, then realising we actually shared lots of classes. Jamie was Harry's friend, so they came as a pair.

As for Max and Anna, they were a couple who had befriended Mel and I, and since then it was history. The six of us were inseparable. Of course, some of us were closer than others, but the overall closeness group never faltered.

"Yeah, friends," Jamie muttered, who then proceeded to get elbowed in the hip by Harry, making him grunt with pain. "What was that for?!"

"Shut up," Harry drawled, his hand never falling from my shoulder.

I'd been reminded several times that it wasn't a coincidence I'd never had a long term relationship whilst being friends with Harry, but unlike my friends I didn't pin that on my friendship with him. I just wasn't able to form meaningful relationships easily, plus, the choice of boys at my school were limited.

The bell rang, signalling the end of lunch. I had English with Mel and Jamie, and Harry Max and Anna had sport. I wouldn't see them until the walk home that we made together, so saying goodbye to them all, I left the table with Mel, Jamie following behind.

"Don't be late to our spot, Lily!" Harry shouted, the same as every other day.

"Wouldn't dream of it," I call back over my shoulder, leaving the hall, going into my next lesson, my mind full of thoughts about prom.

21ST JUNE 2016

"How do I look, Nan?" I ask, giving her a little spin in my dress, my hair bouncing along as I moved. She watched from a distance, a look on her face I recognised as proud.