Rant #4- My Riordanverse Fandom Pet Peeves

*Some of these aren't something that people should necessarily stop doing, it's just things I find extremely annoying. Please do not interpret those in an offensive way.*

1) The use of "Amazhang": Whoever made this word pronounced the last name "Zhang" wrong in the first place. And went ahead and made it into a meme. Please, guys, it's an ethnic name and mispronouncing it is extremely offensive.

Don't make Asian names into jokes.

Don't promote them either. I don't care if the meme is funny or not, just stop. It is pronounced as "JAANG" but the "j" has the same sound as the "j" in "bonjour" and the "-aang" is somewhat vaguely pronounced like the character Aang from ATLA. (Correct me if I'm wrong, please.)

2) Persassy: Please, that joke is so old, it's annoying now. That was, like, all the way back in 2012. This is 2021. Also, Percy referring to himself like that is extremely OOC and everything that makes Percy Jackson, Percy Jackson is just thrown away, I'm sorry to say.

3) "Not my type" jokes: Nico used this exact wording one (01) time in the books. That does not make it his entire personality. Percy was not "offended" at this. Just confused, because he didn't know that Nico was in love with him once upon a time. He was just taking it all in. (Low self-esteem comes into play here.)

4) Misgendering Alex: Let's not. Please. Alex clearly mentions in the books that she does not prefer they/them pronouns. That does not make her hate non-binary people, because she clearly says that some people use they/them pronouns and that's fine, but she herself does not prefer it. Also, Pottery Barn exists (or did exist- whatever).

Actually, you know what, for more reference, I'm just gonna show you when I made a mistake of using she/he pronouns once and why that is incorrect for your reference.

(post by @malloryiswlw on Tumblr)

Also, if you don't want to assume her gender (because, obviously, she won't pop out of the screen and tell you "Hey, my pronouns are he/him today!" or "It's she/her for now!" or something so it's okay for you to use she/her by default since Alex is mostly female in canon. (Again, that does not mean you disregard the fact that he does use he/him pronouns on some days.)

5) Calling Sadie Kane "white": Yes, I know there's a huge discourse on her skin since the only canon text we got was the siblings saying she "was lighter than Carter" and "looked a lot like Ruby". But Julius was black. And Ruby was white. Therefore, Sadie is mixed.

You want to headcanon her as white-passing (which does not mean being white, mind you), go ahead.

You headcanon her with slightly darker skin but still comparatively lighter than Carter's? Go ahead!