Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"How are you?" Amelia asked taking a sip of her coffee.

The blonde shrugged "I'm fine, why?"

"Because I've been watching you run laps of this park for the past twenty minutes. Now I'm no athlete but it seemed intense"

"Shouldn't you be encouraging fitness? Not telling people to stop" Maya replied giving her a slight bit of attitude.

"Okay yes, but I know you're upset Maya, I mean I think anyone would be-"

"You don't know me Amelia, you don't know anything about me so back off!" Maya snapped.

"No I don't and I'm not saying I do but I know trauma when I see it, I know what it's like to lose someone Maya. I just want to make sure you're looking after yourself in a healthy way" Amelia pleaded.

"I don't need a lecture Amelia, I came here to be alone, I came here to think so leave me be" Maya threw the empty bottle in the bin next to them and ran off.

The blonde jogged back to her apartment, running up the five flights of stairs and into her apartment. She opened the door to find Carina still there, waiting for her in the kitchen.

"Hi" Carina waved nervously.

"You're still here" Maya asked kind of surprised.

"Yeah I guess I am" Carina shrugged "I'm worried and I want to be here for you"

The blonde fire Captain didn't reply, she stood in the middle of the kitchen looking at her girlfriend.

"What did your mom say bambina? Whatever it was I know it upset you, you can talk to me Maya, I love you and I care so much about you" Carina pleaded, she stood up and walked over to the angry blonde. "Now you're giving the me quiet treatment" Carina sighed. Maya stared at the floor avoiding all contact with her girlfriend.

"Bambina" Carina held only Maya chin slowly lifting it up, her brown eyes met with the blondes ocean blue. Carina smoothed her thumb over Maya cheek. "Maya, will you please say something?" Carina whispered.

"I just need some space" Maya snapped.

"I'm here for you"

"I need you to go Carina" Maya said angrily pulling her chin out of the Italians hands.

"Maya I'm not leaving you like this, you're upset"

"Carina! Just go! I don't want you here!" Maya finally snapped shouting loudly at the Italian "Get out!"

Carina was taken back by the blondes actions, she had never spoken to her like that before. They only person that ever spoke to her like that was her father. She could feel her eyes starting to swell, a hard lump in her throat started to get bigger.

The Italian snatched her car keys and ran out of the fire Captains apartment. She reached her car and broke down, she could no longer keep her emotions at bay. Normally she was good, she didn't cry but she felt like Maya just stabbed her in heart.

Back in the apartment Maya let out a loud scream, just as she stopped her phone dinged, her mother text her her brothers number. She could feel the anger building more and more inside of her, she grabbed the plates from the counter and threw them on the floor smashing them all.

She grabbed the bottle of whisky out of the cupboard and poured herself a large glass drinking it down in one mouthful. She stared at the text from her mother, before pressing call on her brothers number.

"Mason here"

"Hey Mason"

"Maya?" Her brother asked confused.