Chapter 26

We have to save them before it's too late. I can't watch another tragedy unravel right in front of my eyes without doing something about it.

Desperation soaked Jimin's every word, mirroring painfully what Jungkook felt in his own, trembling heart. He, too, wanted to help his former pack mates, those he used to call family, but it wasn't so easy anymore. He had his own pack to lead, a still recovering mate to protect, pups to raise, and then there was Zora who stuck to them like honey to a bear's paw ever since they told him he was allowed to stay.

Yoongi said the same thing when they talked about it later. No risks. No impulsive decisions until they have a proper plan. "And if it really comes down to it…" he said while pointing in the direction of the beach where they, and some of the brown wolves, had built quite a number of small rafts already. "We can use these. Although… I planned to use them during emergencies someday, not for some rescue mission on the mainland. I'm not sure how to feel about that, to be honest."

Indeed, Jimin agreed that it was a bit of a surreal situation. They had risked their lives to escape from that place, trying their hardest to forget, to move on. Going back now that they finally found peace seemed idiotic. Like a fish jumping right back into the hands of the hunter after having been caught once before. They should know better than to involve themselves in their old packs' deadly quarrels again.

"Jimin…hyung…"
A tender voice woke Jimin from his dark daydreams. He blinked, straightened, then he turned around to face Zora who already looked much healthier than he did a week ago. The boy was amusingly helpless when it came to the pups. Some of them slept in his lap, others hung from his arms or tried to climb up his waist. The little ones had become incredibly active these days, for better or worse, and clinging to the timid teenager had become one of their favorite games.

"They're trying to bite me, Hyung… I think they dislike me."

Chuckling, Jimin took the two wildest pups from him, both of them black foxes, before putting them into his own lap instead where they continued to shove each other with their tiny paws. "It's just because they're hungry." He explained, causing the younger boy to blush shyly. "Oh..."
"You didn't know? I'm surprised. Jungkook mentioned you have siblings at home."
"I did but we were litter mates. I never had any younger siblings to take care of." A wave of sadness replaced Zora's formerly embarrassed expression. It made Jimin realize how tactless the small comment must've been and he quickly backpedalled by putting a hand on the young wolf's shoulder and apologizing profusely. "I didn't mean to bring up any painful memories." He said helplessly but Zora was already showing a weak half smile again, albeit hesitantly, and slowly shook his head. "It's fine." He mumbled, freezing when he couldn't keep up the strong facade and trembled just slightly. "Truthfully, I don't deserve your pity. I watched most of my siblings die until only one of my sisters remained. She was the weakest of our litter but I tried my best to protect her and keep her safe. Even so, I left her behind when I couldn't take it any longer. I was ready to die without her." A single tear rolled down his cheek. "I don't know if she's still alive. She was one of the last Omegas who survived and the Alphas would constantly give her a hard time. Without my protection, she-" A sob cut off his words but he refused to give into the sadness, shaking his head hard instead to regain control. "I would love to stay here. Everyone is so nice and there's food for everyone, it's like a dream, but I can't live like that while knowing my sister might be going through hell. I have to go back."

There's no way Jimin would let him go all by himself, that would be absolutely insane. However, he understood why Yoongi, Jungkook and even Namjoon were hesitant. Despite what the boy was saying, they didn't know exactly what was happening on the mainland, they might walk right into a trap if they decided to go. Another issue could be that Jungkook's old pack might end up refusing to cooperate since wolves are incredibly loyal to their packs. Lone wolves don't survive for long, that sentiment had been ingrained in them for countless generations.