Chapter 18

"Taehyung?! Is that really you?"
Hoseok couldn't believe his own eyes. The knife slipped out of his hand, hitting the ground with a ghostly clunk while he stepped a single step closer but stopped shortly after.
"No, it's impossible."

Taehyung himself seemed confused too, though he still kept up a defensive stance, not trusting the person in front of him.
"My name is Taehyung, yes. But how do you know that? Have we met before? Actually… Nevermind that. What are you doing to Jiminie and where's Jungkook?!"

Instead of giving him a reply, Hoseok slowly stumbled closer but for every step he walked, Taehyung took one back until Yoongi, in his wolf form, stepped between the two and growled.
It only stopped Hoseok for a second, though, before he sniffed the air instead, trying to track the scent that was so different from what he remembered and yet very much the same.

"I took care of you for long enough to remember that hint of peppermint. I never met anyone else who smelled like that." He said almost desperately, one hand reaching out to touch him but never fully daring to do so while Yoongi shielded the unsure Omega.
"You're our Taehyungie, one of the pups we lost! You are a brown wolf, aren't you?! Don't you remember how we used to play together? We threw pebbles and you would get mad because me and Jinnie Hyung would always win. We were older and could throw much farther than you. We shouldn't have teased you so much. I'm sorry."

For the first time, a glint of recognition flashed across Taehyung's face. He nodded carefully, then squinted his eyes and took a tiny step closer, nose wiggling when he tried to connect the new scent to old memories. To a face or name.
"I… remember that, I think. Hobi was it?"

"Yes! Yes, that's me! We lived next to each other. I was there when you were born and helped take care of you ever since! But when we were forced to move here, you ran away to find your parents. I looked everywhere for you but couldn't find you! It was so stressful and confusing back then… Everyone was running all over the place. My Mom and Dad said, you probably didn't make it… so we left while we still could. I would've never left you on purpose!"

Confusion and sadness continued to dominate Taehyung's expression. He did remember bits and pieces from this old life but it felt so far away, too far for him to feel emotionally connected to any of this.
"What happened in the past doesn't matter anymore. Jungkookie is like a little brother to me. We grew up together. Jimin has become a good friend and Yoongi Hyung here is my mate. He kept me safe all those years, you know? They are my family now and I won't let anyone hurt them."

The way Hoseok's scent and facial expression changed was hard to explain. It went from surprise to disappointment, to anger and finally helplessness as he glared at Yoongi who was still growling quietly but held back for Taehyung's sake.

"You're mated to a black wolf…?"

"Not just a black wolf but Yoongi! He's his own person!"

Taehyung's sharp clarification left Hoseok flustered. His confusion only grew when Jungkook called Jimin's name, probably worried since he didn't know what's going on. Jimin jumped to his side in a heartbeat, scolding him to lay back down and rest.

"I don't understand. Why… Why would you just forgive them? As a fox especially, you should hate those traitors even more than I do. For you guys to be with them makes you just as bad. It's like you don't care about those who died… your parents..."

"Don't drag my parents into this!" Taehyung hissed. He slowly grew angry and it showed. His closed fists shook badly, his lips twitched too.

"Jungkook and Yoongi Hyung had nothing to do with any of that. I understand why you're hurt and I'm sorry you had to experience so much pain but you can't blame me for not feeling the same way you do. To be completely honest with you, I barely remember mom and dad. All I remember is cuddling with Jungkookie at night and having Hyung carry me around on his back all day. I'm not throwing them away for something other people did! Are there bad people among the black wolves? Sure. That's why we left and came here. I honestly wish we could just live peacefully… That's all I ever wanted."