Chapter 14

The rain. It's always the rain that forebodes great misery. It did so back then, a long time ago, just like it did today.

When Jimin burst into the Jeon cave, Jungkook was still deep asleep. Upon hearing the echoes of his steps, he startled awake but already felt Jimin's small fingers glide across his arm, not letting him escape.

We need to talk.

Even with the serious weight of his words, Jungkook didn't seem worried. He was annoyed, if anything. Annoyed that Jimin would return when he told him so honestly that he shouldn't, that it was dangerous. He was dangerous.
Jungkook ran a hand through his jet black hair, unable or maybe unwilling to completely erase the stubborn snark from his voice.

"About what? I told you it's safer when you stay with the Hyungs."

Why? Because you secretly want to hurt me?

Unbelievable.
Those words couldn't have possibly spilled from the Omega's fingertips. Yet, here he was with that burning gaze that made Jungkook want to shrink and disappear, ocean eyes rattled by a wild storm created from utter defiance.

Taehyung told me about the past. I want to hear it from your mouth, though. If you truly despise me and my kind so much, please be honest about it and tell me.

The Omega's sudden candidness left Jungkook stunned. His lava eyes lit up the dark, sweaty hands closing into fists before releasing shortly after, nerves running wild.
"Why the hell would he tell you something like that…"

It's not true then?

Glancing to the side, Jungkook defensively poked his tongue against the inside of his cheek, a telltale sign that he was thinking hard, probably weighing his options.
He didn't have many, though. Options that is. He seemed to realize that as well.

"I honestly don't think you really want to know my true feelings."

Pretty sure that's for me to decide.

The sudden resistance in Jungkook's gaze made Jimin wonder if he was getting angry, or maybe he was just frustrated with himself.
Either way, he got it under control fast, burning eyes simmering down to a subtle gleam as he sighed and his body slumped against the wall behind him. Even his ears drooped in defeat.
"Fine. If you want the truth so badly, I'll tell you."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

It must've been spring when they first met.
Jungkook remembered sneaking into the forest despite the elders telling him not to. He remembered dashing through colorful flower fields, watching them fall apart beneath his feet as he ran. But no matter how stunning his first impressions of this forbidden place might've been, it paled in comparison to the one image that would be forever engraved on his mind. A pink fox balancing on the biggest tree he's seen so far, wavering while he lifted his arms to reach for the sky.

That magical vision was over as fast as it appeared. The fox pup turned around, eyes growing huge. Next thing he knew, there was a scream as the pink ball of fluff fell to the ground, landing right on his chubby cheeked face.
When carefully stepping closer, Jungkook very quickly realized that the fox child looked well fed in general. Not a single rib could be seen beneath the bunched up shirt and, no matter how hard he tried to swallow the bitter taste in his mouth back down, Jungkook couldn't help feel upset about it.

Those foxes truly must be wicked creatures to enjoy their perfect life while Jungkook's pack was starving. He must think he's oh so special, that pink miracle fox. He definitely looks like he was being spoiled rotten.

As he stepped closer, Jungkook started to wonder whether the fox had lost consciousness after the fall. He wasn't moving, wasn't even making a sound when Jungkook crouched down beside him to check if he was still breathing.
Well, he was alive, that much he could tell and the longer he looked at the smaller boy's helpless state, the more sinister Jungkook's thoughts became.