Chapter 17

New days bring new hope, even for the fox and wolf pair that woke as soon as the earliest rays of sunlight flooded the face of the earth.
Jimin was the first to wiggle his button nose and yawn. He stretched his arms, hands clenched into fists, building tension before releasing it with a relaxed sigh.
Above him was a small bird. It sat on the longest branch of a tree, chattering tirelessly as if to tell him a story. Reminiscing over a happy memory from the past.

The chirping sound alone was enough to make the sensitive paw pads on the fox's hands itch and, while Jungkook was still blinking the sleep away, Jimin already climbed the tree to playfully swat at the tiny sparrow that instantly looked offended and quickly fluttered away.

"What are you doing?" Jungkook snorted as he observed the smaller's antics but Jimin was already jumping down and landing right in front of him with the sweetest, little giggle.
"Just playing. Look, it's such a nice day!"

Ah.
Yoongi mentioned before that foxes are known to be easily excitable and playful, no matter their age. But still, it's strange to see him act this way.
Even back then, when he still lived with his own pack, Jimin's demeanor had mostly been cautious or upset. At least around Jungkook. The amounts of times he saw the fox be carefree could easily be counted on a single hand.
Maybe, despite their difficult situation, it wasn't all bad. This place definitely had a certain taste of freedom to it if you look at the positive side of things.

"I'm glad you're in such high spirits." Jungkook mumbled, eyebrows rising high when he saw Jimin sniff and eventually jump after a butterfly that crossed his path. However, as distracted as he was, he just didn't notice the big stone resting right in front of his feet, tripped, and fell flat on his face.

Still a bit dazed from the pain, Jimin stayed on the ground for several seconds until he heard a single snort and lifted his head only to see Jungkook avert his gaze, one hand covering his mouth in an attempt to hide his laugh.
His rather obvious amusement wasn't lost on Jimin though. The fox instantly puffed his cheeks, eyebrows drawn together in a frown.

"Yah. Jungkook-ah. Are you laughing at me?"

"No…?"

With a huff, Jimin got up and walked towards him until he stood right in front of the wolf. He leaned down, coming close, close enough to smell the Alpha's scent that once again made his heart jump.

"You're not? Then why do I hear you snicker?"

Out of nowhere, Jungkook's head turned and he faced him straight on. Without a single blink of his eyes, Jungkook held his gaze captive. He stared so intensely, Jimin felt the urge to pull away but Jungkook was quicker. The Alpha buried his hand in Jimin's pink locks, keeping him still, keeping him close.
God. Too close. Way too close. Jimin heard his own heartbeat echo in his ears, felt cold shudders run down his spine and sweat coat his skin. It felt as if he was caught in the claws of a predator.
He probably was.

"You look like you're going to eat me..." he whispered.
Jungkook seemed surprised at first. His eyes grew big but then he smiled and the fingers holding onto Jimin's hair slowly loosened their grip.

"You should stop talking about being eaten, otherwise you'll only give me weird ideas. Well, unless you actually want to be devoured, that is. I do wonder what a miracle would taste like sometimes."

There was a certain drawl in his voice. One that caused Jimin to flinch away because, he could tell, the wolf's words had a tiny hint of truth to them.
Before he could pull away completely, though, Jungkook grabbed his arm and pulled him back down. Next thing he knew, Jimin felt a bunch of teeth gently bite the soft flesh of his cheek.
When he let go, Jungkook licked his lips and showed a smug grin. His voice was swimming in delight.
"Not bad. Tastes as sweet as honey."