Chapter 3

Losing a member of the pack was always hard. Young or old, it's a tragedy either way. However, it's during those times that the usually so carefree foxes show their true strength.
They focus on moving closer together, sharing more love, creating the sweetest last goodbye by singing and dancing while wearing the most beautiful, colorful clothes.
Today, as well, was one of those days.

"Jimin? Are you ready?"

Turning around, the young fox looked at his father and smiled before bowing as deep as he possibly could in the traditional outfit he wore.
It was a loose tunic dyed in a vibrant purple, pink, and blue sky pattern, held together only by a wide, pink cotton belt.
The stunning outfit was a bit too big for Jimin's youthful, slender frame, causing it to slip off his shoulders whenever he moved, but he would grow into it eventually, his parents said.

"Yes. I'll be done in a second."

The dutiful tone of his voice made his father smile, made him sigh and wipe a fake tear before exclaiming how Jimin was growing up much too fast and he should please stay his cute, tiny pup for just a little longer.
When Jimin laughed at his antics, the bells on his wrists and ankles rung, creating the prettiest bellchime song with every move the fox made.
It drew even more attention towards him when he finally left the hut to wander around the festivities but he didn't mind it that much since he was a sociable creature at heart who loved to stop and chat with the elders, play with the children, and joke with his friends.

In the middle of the plaza was a wooden board with the body of the deceased fox prettily laid out on top of it, surrounded by a colorful bed of blue and purple flowers.
He had been a well respected elder who was lucky enough to peacefully pass away in his sleep. They knew it would happen eventually, but the grandchildren who adored him to bits still couldn't be consoled as they sobbed by his side, clinging to his motionless body as if they tried to drag the soul back into this lifeless shell.
Moments like this shattered Jimin's heart. He hated seeing others suffer, especially the little ones, and he couldn't help but crouch down beside them, rubbing their tiny, quivering heads.

"Come on now, there's no reason to cry." He said gently, using his thumbs to wipe away their tears when all three of the pups looked up at him.
"His soul is still here, you know. Do you want him to see you cry like this?"
Their big, round eyes instantly grew, mouths falling open in adorable disbelief before they shook their heads hard and grabbed each other's hands to calm down.

"Good." Jimin praised. "Then why don't you go have some fun for now, hm? I'll have a surprise for you when the sun sets."

As the kids ran off, the sniffling parents stepped closer to hug the young fox, whispering thank you's into his ears, although to Jimin this was nothing special. He's always been good with pups and loved seeing their bright smiles much more than having to dry those glistening tears.

Much later, when the shadows grew longer, when the sky was glowing orange and red, the whole pack gathered around the small lake outside of the village, waiting for the highlight of the day.
The soul sending ceremony. A big, final goodbye.

It was a huge moment for Jimin, as well.
He's been chosen to do the last dance, the most important part.
When his time came, Jimin's father took his hand, lead him slowly into the lake until the water reached just above his knees.
He gave him a last, proud slap on the back before returning to the shore, leaving Jimin alone in the cold.
As he stood there, the young fox's toes curled in anticipation, his heart fluttered as much as his nerves.
Then, without much of a warning, everyone who surrounded the lake started to clap their hands which also made the bells on everyone's wrists ring, creating a beautiful melody, the perfect beat to follow.