Chapter 25

When Jimin and Jungkook appeared outside of the village gates, Hoseok was the first to notice. He had been on guard duty all night. Although, frankly, he might have snuck in an hour of sleep just before the couple arrived and Jungkook almost knocked down the main gate with his bare fists.

As soon as he realized what was going on, Hoseok escorted them straight to Jin's place where the healer was thankfully still up from visiting a patient's house.
"Come in, quickly!" He urged, looking alarmed as soon as he heard Jimin's pained groans. When the door fell shut behind them, Jungkook collapsed on the floor, completely wiped out from the long run. Hoseok barely managed to hold him up by one arm.

"Take him to the living room, Seok. He needs to rest."

Hoseok nodded and tried to follow the older's command but Jungkook stubbornly dug his heels in the floor, face turning even paler from the strain. His breathing still hadn't calmed down. Jin could tell just from hearing the gasps that he was panicking.

"No! It's early… The pups are coming… Early… I need to stay with Jimin!"

"What you need is rest. Listen, Jungkook, I know you're worried but laying down for a moment isn't a problem. I'll call you when something happens, I promise. I have to focus on Jimin and really don't need another emergency right now, so please."

He wanted to refuse so badly, wanted to hold Jimin's hand and stay by his side, but he already started feeling dizzy. His head was a mess.
"Come on, future daddy." Hoseok mumbled softly with both hands pressing against Jungkook's back, gently pushing him into the neighboring room. "I'll get you a drink. You look like you need it."
He really did. Jungkook barely managed to swallow two gulps of the colorless fluid Hoseok handed him before falling on one of the many patient beds and completely passing out.

Hours later, Jungkook was startled awake by an inhuman scream. He was on his feet in less than a second, racing over to where Jin and Hoseok were blocking the view. They didn't do it on purpose, of course. They just did their job. But, in his frantic state, Jungkook struggled to grasp that fact and violently pushed past them by pushing them out of the way.
"Jimin!" He yelled but was shushed by Jin who quickly slapped the back of the younger's head, hoping he'd come to his senses.

"Quiet. Your yelling won't help the situation."

"But Hyung! Why is Jiminie in his fox form?! Isn't that dangerous...?"

"It's not, so calm down. I've read before that foxes tend to give birth like this when their litters are bigger. It's supposed to be less risky and strenuous on their bodies."

A whimper interrupted their conversation. Jungkook instantly fell to his knees and put a hand on Jimin's big, quivering belly, rubbing it gently while mumbling weak apologies. This whole time, he had been ecstatic to see his Omega grow, to feel their pups kick under the tight layer of skin. But now that he saw his mate in so much pain, he wasn't so sure how to feel anymore.

Earlier, when Jimin collapsed, Jungkook felt the first waves of it ripple through their bond. It felt like heavy rain was hitting his skin but soon turned into a crushing tidal wave that made him more nauseous with every step he took. If it had continued like this, he probably wouldn't have made it to the village. However, after around half an hour of running, he felt Jimin's nose press into his shoulder, felt him shakily inhale his scent before whispering Jungkook's name.
Right after that… their connection was abruptly cut off. It happened so suddenly, Jungkook thought he died, at first. But no, Jimin was awake and whining quietly, digging his nails into Jungkook's skin.

He did it on purpose, he realized at that moment, heart stinging with guilt. Jimin cut off their connection, so he wouldn't feel the pain.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───