Chapter 1 - The Beginning

England had always been a dream, ever since I was a kid. When I had the opportunity to play in the US, I thought of it as a great stepping stone to England. I wanted to play in the Super League, more than I ever thought possible. 

I played for the Houston Dash for 2 years. I was 18, just moved from Sydney, Australia; straight out of high school in fact. I had barely learned about life when I knew I needed to help my career. Houston saw my potential and signed me - a young, naive, Australian.

In some ways, many people compared me with Sammi (aka Sam Kerr) as she had a similar story.

When she was only 18 she was sent to the NWSL and played for the New York Flash. Not that I complained about being compared to Sammi, I love my captain.

I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to put my print on the international football world - at only 18!

Now, 20, I feel as if I have given everything to the NSWL, and Houston. Winning the Challenge Cup in 2020, after all we had been through with Covid and Lockdown, felt like the perfect goodbye, in a sense. It felt like I ended on the high that I had always wanted, and dreamt of.

Kristie, my closest friend from Houston, knew of my ambitions and dreams and goals, and encouraged me to take up the opportunity that, in a sense, was out of the comfort zone I had created for myself at Houston. I decided to go to Arsenal for the new season.

I arrived at Houston at the start of the 2018 season. I was a naive, young, eighteen-year-old Australian who had just completed her HSC the year before. I had no clue how to live by myself, or cook or clean. I left Sydney, my parents, my home, my dog, my brother and went to Houston. Houston was a shining light in my life. I knew that the W-League in Australia wasn't going to help my career the way I wanted to, I needed the big leagues. In the previous year, I had been named the Rising Star of the Matilda's, an amazing award that put me, in a sense, onto the global stage. People started to recognise the name "India Harrison" similarly to "Sam Kerr''." This definitely helped me get that call from the Houston Coach. When I left Sydney, my Mum was not impressed.
"Indi, you have only just finished school. Go to Uni, get a degree." Mum rambled on, but I stopped her.
"Mum, I need to do this," I started, "You don't understand professional football. I need to go somewhere else."
"Who the heck calls it football..." My brother started, only to be interrupted by my father.
"Indi," he started to say, "Courage, my girl, is your greatest gift. Go! Live your dream. We support you."

So, I did. I went to Houston, and never turned back. Obviously I miss Australia. All the Aussie girls ramble on about the heat, the food and the Coffee! It is hard not to miss Australia. But, we all know what we are doing is right for our career.

I started playing for Houston in the 2018 season. I played 2 seasons there (and a half season due to Covid). In 2018, I got rookie of the year for the NSWL and in 2019 I got defensive player of the year for the League and player of the Season from the Dash. I was getting the accolades which led me to Europe. As a defensive player, my stats don't show goals or assists (although I can get the occasional couple), it is mostly my tackles, saves and passes to clear the line.

In Houston, many people called Rachel Daly, Kristie Mewis and myself the "Holy Trinity." Myself as a defensive player, Kristie as a Midfielder and Rachel as a Forward. We were able to get the ball in three passes down the field and score. In my opinion, without Kristie and Rachel, I wouldn't be where I am today. For most of my Houston years, they were actually together. Often, I would go to their house and eat dinner, as I did live by myself. They would cook for me, and train with me. Sometimes I felt like a third wheel, but only sometimes. On the bus to a game once, I stole Rachel's seat.
"Indi," Rachel said, glaring at me after I sat down next to Kristie on the bus, "you gotta move." Kristie and I were both laughing hysterically as we both know that Rachel has a superstition that she has to sit next to Kristie otherwise we will lose.
"But Rachel," I said with a grin, "Kristie and I need to chat." Kristie nodded her head and we both laughed again. In the end, Rachel picked me up as I was laughing and sat me down on the seat opposite Kristie, as we sat at a four-seater with a table in between us. Rachel then sat in her "assigned" seat and grabbed Kristie's legs to put on her lap. I could see Rachel caressing Kristie's leg with her thumb and only longed for the comfort they gave each other. My relationship with them was sort of similar to a mentor-mentee one, as they were both a lot older than me, but I didn't really care.

At the Challenge Cup, when we won, it was the time of our lives. Obviously, in the US, I was underage so I couldn't be recorded drinking or having any fun in the locker room, but that doesn't mean I wasn't there... I will leave it at that.

I had a great tournament at the Challenge Cup, and I honestly think that was what put me with the possibility of going to the Super League. I had multiple assists, mostly to Kristie or Rachel, and a lot of saves. I wouldn't say I was what made us win, but I definitely helped. Kristie, in my opinion, was the stand-out of the tournament and it led her to get a call-up to the national team, something she thoroughly deserved.

When the Challenge Cup ended, I went on holiday with Kristie to Steph's beach house in Newport. We chilled by the pool and relaxed after the hectic month that had just occurred. Only a couple of days earlier, Kristie had told me that she and Rachel had broken up. I was obviously devastated as I looked up to her, and their relationship, as something I aspired to have. But, I knew that they had been struggling. It is hard to see a relationship you admire change and, in a way, go downhill. I knew that it was for the best. Kristie said she wanted to focus on herself.
"I just need to be me, and find myself again." She said, sipping on her beer while we floated in the pool at Steph's house.
"I get that," I started, "I could feel something was off at the Cup."
"It was," she replied, "I was distant, and it seemed like she didn't care." I nodded, trying to empathize with her, even though I have never been in a relationship.
"Indi," She continued, "I don't know what I am going to do when we go back next season. How will I cope with her being my captain for hell's sake?" I thought about it for a minute, realizing the awkwardness that may occur next season.
"You just have to be mature adults, I think, and realize that your relationship is not strictly professional." Kristie nodded and we dropped the subject.

"Have you ever been in a relationship?" She asked me, out of nowhere.
"Not really," I started, "I had a couple of relationships when I was younger, but nothing serious. It's hard when your life revolves around football." She nodded.

Mid-way through our Holiday break in Newport, I got a call from a random number.
"Hello, India Harrison speaking."
"Hello India, I am calling to talk to you about the possibility of playing for Arsenal next season." I nearly jumped out of my own body. My heart was racing and my chest was falling up and down, up and down. I talked with the manager of Arsenal for nearly an hour, explaining everything from my contract plans, to my dreams, goals, ambitions. Soon, he told me he would call me back after he had drafted a contract and the rest was history.
When I hung up the phone, Kristie turned to me, a smile gleaming on her face.
"You're going to England Baby!" She screamed and hugged me so tight.
"I am going to fucking England!"

I let Houston know that I wouldn't be taking up another contract for the following season and that I was offered a contract with Arsenal Football Club. Obviously, they were upset, as they had lost their most prosperous defender, but they were excited for me as well, knowing that it would help me and my career. 

"Mum," I said, as I called her.
"Hi Darling, how are you?" She asked.
"I have some exciting news... I got offered a contract at Arsenal for the upcoming season!"
"Oh, my word! John!" She screamed, calling my Dad into the room. "John! Indi got an Arsenal contract!"
"Mum, Mum!" I said, trying to snap her back into reality, "I miss you so much." Australia has managed covid fairly well, with only a few lockdowns and very low cases. However, that means it is so hard to see my family. I can't go to Australia unless I want to stay in a hotel for fourteen days, isolating, and that just isn't possible for my lifestyle as an athlete. So, essentially I have been locked out of my home; all us international Matildas have.

When I got the contract and signed it and made it all official, I texted Caitlin Foord, my fellow Matilda's teammate and now Arsenal teammate.

Indi: Guess what?    

Caitlin: What?

Indi: Guess who is coming to Arsenal?    

Caitlin: No Fucking way!

Indi: Yes way!    

Caitlin: Inds, that is so amazing!!!

Indi: Can't wait to see you :)

Caitlin: Gotta make Sammi jealous...

Indi: For sure!!

Just before the season started, I said goodbye to my Houston family, mostly just Rachel and Kristie. Although, I did that separately as they are still not quite comfortable being in each other's presence. I got on a plane, and moved to London. Fulfilling my lifelong dream. I am going to be an Arsenal player. I was going to be a gunner.