25 ~ Talking to His Mum

Niall (your pov) ~ "Come on Theo, I want to see on of those kicks like at your game last weekend!" Greg yelled from where he stood at the barbecue. Theo set the ball on the ground a few meters in front of him and stepped backward. You smiled, watching as the boy began to run forward towards the football. You watched in awe as the ball was sent flying directly into the upper corner of the net Niall had bough him for his birthday last year. He began cheering and ran towards Spud, lying down on the ground to let the dog lick his face.

"I'll send that to Niall," Denise said from beside you. You were sat at the patio table in their backyard, with little Evie pulling herself up with her small hands on your knees. You had come to pick up Spud, but Theo had grown attached to him and begged you to stay for 'just a bit longer,' which was approaching the two hour mark. 

"Yeah, he'll be showing everyone out there what his nephew can do," you laughed, handing Evie another banana flavored cereal puff. 

"Soon he'll be doing that with this little one," Denise said, smoothing your dress over your growing belly. "The two of them will be chasing each other around the yard in no time." 

You nodded, staring off at the clouds which hid the mid-afternoon sun from your sight. The scent of Greg's cooking filled the yard, Theo's cheers and yells were heard each time he kicked the ball, and Evie's little gurgles were just audible over your's and Denise's voices. You couldn't wait to have lazy days like this one with Niall and your children. 

"Mummy! I'm hungry!" Theo yelled. He was lying down on the grass, the July sun finally peeking out from behind the clouds and soaking his skin. 

"Dad's cooking now, be patient," Denise said, sighing. You laughed as she rolled her eyes. He began crawling around on the grass with Spud barking excitedly thinking Theo was playing. The two made their way to the table, and Theo stood up. 

"Aunty Y/N?" he said, and you pulled him onto your lap. He squirmed around your belly before settling on your knee with his small torso pressed against your bump. 

"What bud?" you replied, ruffling his hair a bit. 

"When will you be back?" His big blue eyes looked up at your sadly. You pinched his chubby baby cheeks that never went away with a frown on your own face.

"Soon, why?" 

"You just got here, and you have to leave the same day. I missed you. I'm going to miss Spud. And when is Uncle Niall coming back?" You smiled down at your nephew sympathetically. You may not have been if his life for all five of his years, but both Denise and Greg swore that he loved you nearly as much as Niall. There was no competing with Niall, so you were happy with that. Theo and Niall had some sort of special bond that you were nervous Niall would neglect when your baby came. Theo has always had Niall: the cool uncle who had a lot of money, was good at football, and had no kids to compete with. 

"I promise he'll be here for your birthday. He told me so," you told the boy. He held out his small pinky finger for you to lock yours with, and you did, saying, "I swear on it." 

"Good! Can you bring Spud, too?" you nodded and watched him run off towards the football net. 

"You're going to be an amazing mother, sweetheart," Denise said, patting your cheek in a loving way. You smiled, muttering a 'thank you' and went back to watching your nephew. "You know, when we first had Theo, the first thing Niall said was 'I can't wait for my own.' I'll never forget that, hearing my 19 year old brother-in-law, who was busy touring the world and living the life, say he wanted kids. I think he had the career he dreamed for, but you've given him the life he needed."

I just wish his mother had realized that. I've gotten to know you, the real Y/N, over these past years. She's so wrong; everything she said about you was so wrong. I hope for someone like you to come into Theo's life when we get to that time. She's so stupid for not realizing what you've done for Niall. Just know, we love you."