Chapter 26

"She has her problems," Lauren explained as she watched Dinah unloading the dishwasher from where she was sitting on the counter. "But she's a good kid who's clearly going through something."

It was 5 in the afternoon and Maddie was due to arrive soon for her first extra class. 

"How's she a good kid if she's always kicking off in your classes?" Dinah rolled her eyes. 

"She doesn't kick off, D," Lauren sighed. "She just doesn't do very well at English."

"Fine, but why does she have to come here for classes?" Dinah asked. "Is that normal?"

"Well, she really is quite far behind, and I've tried giving her classes in school but there are just so many distractions," Lauren justified.

"But what if she's a bad influence for Camila?" Dinah objected.

"It's not like she'll be here all the time," Lauren rolled her eyes, hopping off the counter. "I'm going to go get Cammie up from her nap before Maddie gets here."

She walked up the stairs, quietly making her way into Camila's room and moving over to draw the curtains first.

"Look who's already awake," Lauren smiled at the little face that was looking up at her with big eyes , blinking sleepily. "Hi there, nena," she cooed as she picked Camila up.

Lauren always treasured the moments right after Camila had woken up, since she girl was always the most affectionate and cuddly then.

"Did you have a nice nap, my love?" she asked softly, opting against taking away her pacifier seeing as Camila was awake anyway. She walked up and down the room a few times, rubbing Camila's back as the small girl cuddled into her chest, giving her a little bit of time to adjust to the light before going downstairs. The small girl had slept in only an oversized T-shirt with her diaper, but she seemed comfortable so Lauren didn't think to change her.

"Mama?" Camila finally spoke up once Lauren was at the bottom of the stairs.

"I'm right here, baby," Lauren promised, patting Camila's bottom. She came to a halt. "Shoot," she murmured.

"What is it?" Dinah asked.

"I forgot to change Camila's diaper," Lauren sighed. "And Maddie's going to be here any-,"

She was cut off by the sound of the doorbell.

"I got her," Dinah offered, taking Camila from Lauren's arms. "Shh, don't cry, kiddo, let's go get you cleaned up."

"I'm sorry, sweetheart," Lauren said sympathetically before making her way to the front door. 

"Hi, Miss. Jauregui," Maddie smiled when Lauren opened the door. 

She was evidently slightly nervous and was rubbing the sole of her shoe against the pavement as she waited, her backpack hanging loosely off of her left shoulder.

"Come in, Maddie," Lauren smiled. "Sorry about the racket, Camila's just woken up from her nap, it should quieten down in a few minutes."

"Better than an empty house," Maddie shrugged, stepping in. 

"Uh, just straight ahead," Lauren smiled, showing Maddie through to the kitchen. "Would you rather work in here or the living room?"

"Here, please," Maddie said, sliding onto one of the chair's at the kitchen island.

"How was dinner with your friend? Megan, was it?" Lauren asked, moving to the coffee machine to make herself something strong enough to teach Maddie on.