Chapter 9

THUMP

Dinah woke up immediately, glancing at the alarm clock which showed that it was half past four in the morning before quickly ran downstairs. Normally, she was the last one to wake up early, but Camila had been staying with them for a week and she had quickly grown accustomed to responded to any and every bump in the middle of the night, quite literally.

"Camila?" Dinah asked worriedly, following the sound of sobs. "Fuck," she muttered, finding Camila in tears on the floor in the kitchen. The little girl instinctively reached up for Dinah, still crying hysterically. "Kid," Dinah sighed, lifting Camila into her arms. She had never held her before, but it was the only thing she could think of doing. "What are you doing?"

"D-d-dancing," Camila choked out.

"You were dancing? At four am, in the kitchen?" Dinah asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I'm a ballerina," Camila pouted.

"Right, okay," Dinah sighed. "You need to go back to bed."

"Not tired," Camila said, bouncing up and down in Dinah's arms, not crying anymore.

"It's ni-ni time," Dinah said, having gotten used to Camila's baby talk.

"Nuh-uh," Camila insisted, crossing her arms.

"You bet it is," Dinah rolled her eyes.

"Why?"

"Because I said so!"

"But I say not ni-ni time."

"Well I'm the adult."

"And I'm the child."

Dinah pressed her fingers against her temple, realising she had finally met her match.

"I'm going to make you some milk in a bottle and you can come sleep with me and Lauren," Dinah decided, putting Camila down and getting Camila's bottle out. 

"Can you change my diaper first?" Camila asked five minutes later as Dinah led her up the stairs. The wet material was uncomfortable and sticking to her.

"I don't do diapers, kid."

"Kay," Camila said, pushing her thumb into her mouth.

"Ballerina's are quiet, yeah?" Dinah said quietly, leading Camila into the room where Lauren was still asleep. Camila nodded, reaching up and letting Dinah lift her to the middle of the bed before handing her a bottle.

"But I want to play with you," Camila complained.

"We have the rest of your life to play, preferably at a more agreeable hour," Dinah mumbled before she realised what she was saying. "Now, close your eyes," the older girl whispered, helping Camila guide the bottle to her mouth.

It was 6.45 when Camila next woke up. 

"Morning love," Lauren said softly, having been awake reading the news on her iPad for the last fifteen minutes. "When did you get here, hmm?" she asked as Camila crawled into her lap for some cuddles. "Uh, and more importantly, how did you get your bottle?" Lauren furrowed her eyebrows. It was only supposed to be for when she was upset, and Lauren didn't want her making a habit of it.

"DJ," Camila said, snuggling into Lauren's chest. "Where's paci?"

"I gave it to you when I put you down so it's probably in the other room," Lauren said. "Should we go get it together?"

Camila nodded, letting Lauren lift her over her legs and onto the floor before taking her hand.

"Off?" Camila asked hopefully, tugging at the now very wet diaper she had originally asked Dinah to change.