Chapter 18.1: Fever

Start from the beginning

"I know because he took something from me too." 

Ari ducked his head into the cat, trying his best to mask the tears about to spill from his eyes. He held them back for so many cold, dark rainy nights. What was another? He took a deep breath and calmed himself. 

"The old ones think we are none the wiser because we are so young. They could toy with us at their leisure. However, I am tired of being at their every whim and mercy." Sascha grabbed both sides of Ari's face and smiled. "I am sorry I lied to you. I should not have done that. I will not ever do it again." 

"I am tired too..." Ari said. 

"I do not want to be like them. I do not want to become like them either, so I deeply apologize."

"But Sascha, what is the point of your vengeance? You say you do not want to become like them, but I fear if that is your only goal, you will end up being just like them in the end." 

Sascha bit their lip and gazed away from Ari. 

"What else other than your vengeance do you want?" Ari asked. Instead of answering his question, Sascha pulled out a key from his pocket and opened a door to a small house with a worn looking door. 

"Sascha."

"Look around, Ari. This is what I have." 

The cat jumped from out of Ari's arms, surveying the room along with Ari. It was dank, cold, and empty save for a few worn carpets. 

"I have nothing but hate left."

"But the shop—"

"Belongs to a demon hunter posing as a baker. I merely copied his appearance and personality when he was away. He should be back in town in the coming weeks."

"I see," Ari trailed off, looking around the room as if something would change at any given moment. Sascha was clean-looking and well kept. There had to be something more or so Ari was thinking. 

"What do you do to survive then?"

"I blend with the humans and do odd jobs here and there."

"Such as?" Ari was curious to know. Never once did Ari think of doing something outside of slaying demons. 

"Baking, delivering food, packages, sewing, I could go on forever."    

"And you live in this?"

"I like to keep my head low."

Ari tried to beat down a smile but it was followed by a laugh. A small blush crept onto Sascha's face, but they were quick to turn their back to Ari before he could see more. 

"It does not all look like this. As you can imagine, I do not have much company." Sascha beckoned Ari up the the rickety stairs and pointed to the bedroom and washroom. "Here is where I spend most my time." 

"Alone?" 

Their eyes met with neither one too bashful to turn away. 

"Yes, alone..." Sascha murmured.

"Like me." 

"Like you," Sascha answered this time with a small sad smile. 

Ari pressed a hand to his forehead and breathed, feeling dizzy and nauseous all at once. He may have spent too much time outside in his weakened state. It may be just as Sascha said it was. Sascha removed Ari's hand from his forehead and placed their hand there instead. 

"You are burning up, but the rest of you feels cold and clammy. Let me get you in the bath." Sascha led him back downstairs and sat him in front of the fireplace. Once Sascha lit it, he started heating up water in the kitchen. It would take some time to get a bath started. However, just as he was thinking that Sascha grabbed the tin of water and rushed up the stairs. He did that over ten times before ushering Ari back upstairs into the washroom.