Chapter 18.1: Fever

Start from the beginning

Ari's brows furrowed trying to make sense of their words "...Sascha?" Ari asked with some hesitance. How could that be? Sascha was an older man, not a young adult.

"Ding-ding-ding!"

Ari sighed. It was as if a heavy weight was lifted off his chest. Although he did not want to admit it to himself, he felt awful for what he did. His anger and frustration bested him allowing for his anger to conquer all sense of reason.

As if sensing his unease, the cat came from under his legs and hissed.

"What revolting creature is this? Shall I kill it for yo—"

"Do not touch her," Ari growled and brought the cat closer to his body.

"You are quite irritable. It is unlike you." Before Ari could object, Sascha placed a palm on Ari's forehead and clucked their tongue. "You have a fever. This is not good."

Because Ari became worked up all of a sudden, his breath grew labored and his eyesight blurred. Ari knew something was wrong with him, but a fever? He never had one before. And why should he believe the demon now? Their appearance was as false as their words.

"You do not know how to take care of yourself. At least not yet." Sascha took their small hand down their face and grimaced.

Ari only glared, tucking the cat closer to him. He did not want anything to do with them.

"Come away with me."

"And what would make me do that?"

Ari stared at their outstretched hand. Their nails was trimmed and rounded with not a speck of dirt underneath them unlike his own. It was pretty and unblemished much like the rest of them. He continued to take his time studying their face small yet angular face. Their hair was much browner upon closer inspection. They had full lips with the bottom being fuller and pinker. There was no aura surrounding them that signaled their age like with Auovin and Nis. It was as absent as if he were staring at a human. Ari licked his lips and rose. It was quite apparent they were like him— a young demon.

The cat stayed close to his legs instead of running off like she normally did. Ari picked her up and held her as if she was a child in his arms. She laid there docile which surprised him. He never tried to pick her up before, but she seemed like she would scratch him if he tried. Ari scratched under her chin, beating down a growing smile.

"This way. This way. There is so much to do and for me to show you!" Sascha spun around with their arms in the air.

As they walked, Ari could not help but notice the stark difference in their looks, speech, and mannerisms even. Whether they were a man or woman was not important to him, but it still left Ari wondering which it could be.

"... Your appearance... why is it so different?" Ari asked. 

Sascha turned around to face him while walking. "Are you saying you do not know as well? Are you not a Great as well? I seen your markings, but your eyes are grey."

"I do not think I inherited much from my mother," Ari mumbled as he stroked the cat, ignoring the rain. 

Sascha ducked their head to see Ari's eyes and turned their head, dissatisfied with his answer. "Hmm... I suppose you had not then. Matters not. You must have other powers then."

They walked in silence for some time before Sascha stopped and turned to face him. "The things I told you before, I meant them. I want Nis' head on a pike. And you want back something you lost." 

Ari's head rose. 

"He took something from you, I know it. I can see it in your eyes." 

As much as Ari was trying to beat it down a tightness in his throat made it hard for him to swallow. His eyesight blurred and he could hardly stand to look at Sascha without feeling embarrassed.