Chapter 16 - Richard: Emerging From the Shadows

Chapter 16 - Richard: "Emerging From the Shadows"

Richard had his eyes glued to the screen as he watched the two animals on it discuss the hospital they were in. They explained that the patients had all become paranoid recently and that they had all seen a little cat girl with a blank stare, walking around slowly. The hospital staff thought it might have been group psychosis, but the Mortal Guard was concerned that it was a real haunting.

This was part of his job as a member of the Truth Sect. After everything that had happened to him, the Mortal Guard let him switch to a new Sect where he would be able to still be productive, while also not being on the front lines. He was very thankful for it, as he wasn't sure he could handle the pressure, especially two years ago.

Now, he was watching a recording of the show in a dark room in his residence, holding a pen as he scribbled down notes of everything supernatural he saw. In the end, he would determine if it really was a haunting to be investigated and report it to Isaac.

He was a little more than halfway down the page when his phone rang and he answered it, placing it on the table and putting the device on speaker. "Yes?"

"Richie!" An old voice cooed.

"Iwai. What is it? I'm busy investigating a show right now," the raccoon said.

"You're always busy these days," Iwai chuckled on the other end. "Anyway, I want you to meet me tonight."
"Tonight? Well, I still need to determine if this is a haunting, especially because it was filmed a few days ago," Richard said.

"After, at the Neon Nightclub!" the old deer pressed. "It's important! And it's gonna help you. Have a drink with me."

"I don't drink," the raccoon sighed. Lately, he had been getting an itch that he wanted help, though. So he was quite curious. "But I will meet you. Just be there in an hour, our usual booth."

"Sweeeet!" The buck almost sounded like a child, which was strange considering he was over fifty. "See you soon! And Richie?"

"Yes?"

"Breathe," Iwai said, then hung up.

Richard lifted his head at that, the tip of the blue pen resting against the page. He took in a deep breath, then released it. He wondered what Iwai could possibly want to talk about that would help him? It almost excited him, or as close to the feeling of excitement as he could get.

On the other hand, his mind was fighting a battle with itself in choosing to go or stay home and continue to work. It was comfortable. Familiar. He was good at it. After all, he had been doing it for years now. Why add something new that could change everything?

Richard continued watching the show, writing down notes and determining that, indeed, this was a haunting. He reported it to Isaac so they could get creature hunters on that as soon as possible. Afterward, he stood up out of his chair and paced around.

Alright, Richard. You've been in the shadows long enough. Everything that's happened to you is far away. Not far enough, but when will it ever be? Whatever he has to offer, you need to take. Don't fight it like you always do. You can't be like this forever. It's unhealthy.

After swapping from his pajamas to his white button-up and gray pants, the raccoon left his home and walked down the balcony that ran along the Row 1 building. Once he got to the bottom floor, he found a moving walkway and rode it toward the direction of the Plaza, his destination. All the while, his apartment felt like a magnet threatening to rip him off the ground and pull him back in.

The sky was dark now, which meant that the Plaza was very bright with all of its lights and signs. Richard was practically a stranger to this place, even though he had been in Prostasia for years now. The times he did leave, it was to go where he was going now, despite it being illegal. Never leaving your home will do that, though.