Chapter 18 - Richard: Alone In A Constantly Shrinking Room

Chapter 18 - Richard: "Alone In A Constantly Shrinking Room"

Richard let go of Nick's hand and sat back, looking at Iwai. His heart was fluttering, and he still felt like leaving, but he knew that he would have to see it through. "Alright. What's the next instruction?"

"Well," Iwai said, placing his hands on the desk and never discarding that pesky grin. "It's pretty typical that we do what every Mortal Guard member does when they get a new partner."

Richard's face dropped along with his tail. "Okay." He already knew the answer, and it was the last thing he wanted.

Nick's ears perked, and he leaned forward. "What's that?"

The deer chuckled. "Get to know each other, of course! You'll have ten minutes alone here to talk and—what do the kids say these days? 'Catch each other's vibes?'"

Nick rolled his eyes playfully as Richard looked on. "You're so cool now, Iwai."

"Isn't that what you kids say? Been a while since I've been to the Mortal Realm, but I've caught what the newbies say. Weird slang these days, I'll tell you."

The hyena placed his arms along the tops of the chair's components, leaning his back against it. "Yeah. It's pretty wack these days."

"Wack?"

"That's a slang I use."

"Other kids use it?"

"First of all, I'm twenty-one," Nick chuckled. "Not a kid. Second, I like to use older terms. Picked it up from my friend Tyler. I also say 'radical.'"

Tyler, Richard repeated in his mind.

Iwai laughed quite hard. "Funny guy! Alright, alright. Business comes first. I'll leave you to it," the old buck grinned, standing up. He groaned while doing so, then made his way to the door.

"Are you certain it's ten minutes?" Richard asked, trying to communicate with his eyes that he wasn't ready.

Iwai just winked at him and then opened the door, stepping out and shutting it behind him.

Richard was left staring, alone in the room with another animal he wasn't quite prepared to face. Damn you, Iwai.

Nick's voice sounded from behind him. "What was he winking at you for?"

Richard slowly turned in his seat and settled, looking forward. ". . . I'm not sure, myself." Next time we're alone, I'll have some words for him, though.

Nick snickered. "Well, whatever. So you're my Mentor, huh?"

"Yes," Richard answered simply. "I am." He continued to stare at the empty chair behind the desk where the stag previously sat.

"Alright, then. What's up?" Nick asked, surely looking at him.

Richard tilted his head the other way, not wanting to see those innocent eyes on him but feeling them anyway. "Up?"

"Yeah. How are you?" Nick continued.

The question made Richard's ear twitch. How could he answer honestly? That he was anxious and terrified to be taking an animal under his wing? That he wasn't confident that he could do anything for him? In the end, all he said was, "I'm doing fine."

Nick was silent for a moment. ". . . What's going on?"

Richard knew Nick caught him, then. "What do you mean?"

"Why won't you look at me?"

"I . . ." Richard turned his head and looked down at his lap. You can do this. Why are you still hiding? Are you going to look away forever? "I apologize."